Relativity: Noob Ques. - Why Do People on Earth Seem Stationary?

In summary: Yes, this is correct. The inertial observer is one who does not experience any forces other than gravity.In summary, the twin paradox is a situation in which two twins who are separated by a significant distance experience different ages due to the effects of time dilation. The accelerated twin on Earth experiences less time dilation than the stationary twin, and as a result the accelerated twin ages more than the stationary twin. This problem can be solved by having the stationary twin stay in space, and removing the effect of gravity on the accelerated twin.
willm78
Something sparked my interest yesterday, so I started watching videos and reading about relativity. (This seems to happen every year or so.) I get hung up on the same thing every time!

Many discussions I've seen use the example of an astronaut that takes a trip into space for 10 years or so and then comes back to see that his twin has aged significantly more than he has. If velocity is relative to each observer (correct me if I'm wrong), why do these examples always treat the people on Earth as being stationary? To the astronaut, wouldn't it seem as though his twin on Earth was the one who had been traveling at a high velocity over the course of the previous 10 years, and thus be the one that has aged slower?

My brain is about to explode. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
willm78 said:
If velocity is relative to each observer (correct me if I'm wrong)
Hi willm78, welcome to PF!

Velocity is relative to a reference frame. The reference frame of the astronaut is non inertial, so the time dilation formula doesn't apply.

Ahh ok, so it has something to do with the fact that the astronaut experience some significant acceleration over the period of his travel?

Still not sure how this affects his frame of reference though.

Well, you can always distinguish which twin is accelerating, even though their motion is relative. So you can always know which one aged more, the situation is not symetrical. Also, you could consider either one to be at rest, that doesn't matter.

In more adequate terms their paths through spacetime have different proper times.

Last edited:
willm78 said:
Ahh ok, so it has something to do with the fact that the astronaut experience some significant acceleration over the period of his travel?.
Yes, exactly.

willm78 said:
Still not sure how this affects his frame of reference though.
It means that the laws of physics don't work normally in the astronaut's frame. Consider Newton's second law, the astronaut experiences a force but does not accelerate. That isn't normal. Similarly with time dilation: the normal formulas don't work in the astronaut's frame.

But to the twin on earth, doesn't the effect of gravity make it seem as though he's constantly accelerating? While the astronaut, once he reaches cruising speed and assuming he is traveling in a straight line, does not feel he's moving?

Maybe I'm confusing the local effects of gravity on Earth with some global laws of physics?

willm78 said:
But to the twin on earth, doesn't the effect of gravity make it seem as though he's constantly accelerating? While the astronaut, once he reaches cruising speed and assuming he is traveling in a straight line, does not feel he's moving?

Maybe I'm confusing the local effects of gravity on Earth with some global laws of physics?

No, seems a very good point to me: the twin on Earth is indeed accelerated and this has the same qualitative effects as for the astronaut. It's just that the effect on Earth is quite small because Earth gravity is only 1g. You could get rid of it by having the earth-based twin stay in the ISS the whole time instead, but of course that wouldn't significantly change how fast he ages.

wabbit said:
No, seems a very good point to me: the twin on Earth is indeed accelerated and this has the same qualitative effects as for the astronaut. It's just that the effect on Earth is quite small because Earth gravity is only 1g. You could get rid of it by having the earth-based twin stay in the ISS the whole time instead, but of course that wouldn't significantly change how fast he ages.

I'm not sure but it sounds as if the traditional formulation of the twin paradox was meant to have a simple mental picture? therefore the twin staying at earth.
I guess that sticks more than having the whole situation out in empty space. Just a thought.
The remark about the twin on Earth having non-zero proper acceleration is correct of course.

willm78 said:

Typically the twins scenario has no gravity. Often it even just says "home" rather than "earth" just to avoid implying any gravity.

If you really want to include gravity then you need to use General Relativity.

Last edited:
Willm, in case you know enough relativity, you could check in Schutz, the section called "The twin paradox dissected" for further clarification. It's on page 25 in the second edition.

thanks Cruz, I'll check that out.

Side note, I just read that an inertial observer, in the context of GR, means no force is acting upon him except gravity. Am I interpreting this correctly in that GR differentiates gravity from acceleration?

willm78 said:
I get hung up on the same thing every time!...

My brain is about to explode. Please help!

We've all been there, and your brain won't really explode... it just feels that way. :)

Seriously, kidding aside, the twin paradox in which two twins start at the same place, move along different paths for a while, then rejoin and compare their ages is surprisingly difficult. There's a really good FAQ here, and you should read it.

But before you take on the twin paradox, you might be better off working through the simpler problem of two astronauts moving relative to one other - constant speed, no acceleration, no turning around, no gravity, no separation and reunion. How is it possible that both see the other as being time-dilated? How can A be slower than B and also B be slower than A? Get clear on this and you'll be able to take on the twin paradox without fear of cerebral detonation.

Nugatory thanks for pointing me to the FAQ. I've started to read it, and already I can see it's going to answer my questions. Can you provide a reference link for the other example?

willm78 said:
Side note, I just read that an inertial observer, in the context of GR, means no force is acting upon him except gravity. Am I interpreting this correctly in that GR differentiates gravity from acceleration?

The word "acceleration" is ambiguous. Sometime it means coordinate acceleration, which is a change in the speed, relative to some other object, of the accelerating object. Other times it means proper acceleration, which is what an accelerometer attached to the object registers.

In general relativity, "acceleration" without any qualifying adjective usually means proper acceleration. However the acceleration of an object freely falling in a gravitational field is coordinate acceleration - the falling object is accelerating relative to an observer on the surface of the earth, but an accelerometer attached to the object will say that no force is acting on the object until its free fall is interrupted by hitting the ground.

willm78 said:
Nugatory thanks for pointing me to the FAQ. I've started to read it, and already I can see it's going to answer my questions. Can you provide a reference link for the other example?

By "your other question" do you mean why the stay-at-home twin doesn't find himself younger because he's subject to the Earth's gravity?

The stay-at-home twin does end up younger than a hypothetical third (should we calling this the "triplet paradox"?:) ) twin who starts out the same age but spends the entire time floating in free fall in empty space far away from any massive object.

It just so happens that you if grovel through the math, you will find that for reasonable earth-like gravitational fields this effect is small compared with the effect of the traveling twin's journey. Thus, despite the gravitational time dilation, the earth-bound twin ends up less aged than than thevtravelling twin.

willm78 said:
in the context of GR, means no force is acting upon him except gravity. Am I interpreting this correctly in that GR differentiates gravity from acceleration?
Gravity doesn't cause proper acceleration (a falling accellerometer measures zero), just coordinate acceleration (change in velocity in non-inertial frames of reference). That's why in GR local gravity is interpreted as a coordinate effect. Check the video below for a comparison of the two models of gravity.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "relativity" in physics?

Relativity is a theory in physics that explains how things move and interact with each other in space and time. It was first introduced by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has since been one of the foundational theories in modern physics. It consists of two main theories: special relativity and general relativity.

2. How does relativity explain why people on Earth seem stationary?

According to the theory of relativity, there is no absolute frame of reference in the universe. This means that there is no preferred or stationary point in space and time. Therefore, the perception of being stationary or moving is relative to the observer's frame of reference. For someone on Earth, the ground and surroundings are their frame of reference, making them seem stationary. However, from the perspective of someone outside of Earth's frame of reference, such as an astronaut in space, the Earth and its inhabitants would appear to be moving.

3. Why does relativity only apply at high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields?

The effects of relativity become more apparent at high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields because they cause distortions in space and time. The theory of relativity explains that the speed of light is constant and that time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. At high speeds, these effects become more pronounced, and the laws of physics that we are used to in our everyday lives no longer apply.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It has helped us explain phenomena such as gravity, time dilation, and the nature of space. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by relativity. Furthermore, the theory has been essential in advancing our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.

5. Is the theory of relativity proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. Its predictions have been consistently verified, and it is considered one of the most well-supported theories in physics. However, like all scientific theories, it is always subject to further testing and refinement as our understanding of the universe continues to evolve.