Release or absortion of energy on bonds and phase change

In summary: When you heat a liquid, the surrounding gas molecules are forced into the liquid by the heat, and the energy of the collisions between the molecules (known as thermal energy) is released. This is why you need to cool a liquid to solidify - the thermal energy has to be turned into other forms (like motion or heat). The same thing happens when two molecules come close to each other: the energy of the bonds between them is released.
FG_313
I believe I can explain why there is energy needed to break intermoleculares bonds and getting into a gas or liquid, but the other way around confuses me. Bonds have potential energy associated to it, so It's needed work to break the bonds, because we would be trying to move a molecule away from a lower potential energy to a higher, like lifting an object. (Is that correct?) Now the other way confuses me, if the molecules get less kinetic energy when heat is transferred to the outside of the system, and than they get closer together so the bonds "stick" or if the bonds being created is what gives heat to the surroundings. If I'm completaly wrong in those explanations please let me know and explain it to me, or refer me to an adequate material.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To be honest I have no idea what the problem is. However, if you have no problems understanding the process when it goes one way, simply reverse everything - and you have the reverse process.

FG_313 said:
if the molecules get less kinetic energy when heat is transferred to the outside of the system, and than they get closer together so the bonds "stick" or if the bonds being created is what gives heat to the surroundings.

Both. Removing kinetic energy is cooling the gas/liquid, energy of bonds is a latent heat.

Thank you, but the reason for the question is that I don`t understand why there is a release of energy when intermolecular bonds are made (why we need to cool a liquid for it to solidificate). There is a need for cooling because the molecules have to be closer together and with low energy so that the bonds can be made or there is a need for energy release in the forming of the bonds. If the second or, like you said, both are true, what in the formation of bonds is responsable for the energy release and please describe how that happens. There is work/energy needed to separate two molecules and make them free (gas/liquid), and I attempted to understand it in therms of eletromagnetic forces, but why the forming releases energy is what I don`t understand, in therms of forces, energy and potencial.

In general breaking any bond requires energy, and the opposite - energy being produced when the bond is created - is also true. Technically these are identical processes, just running in different directions.

Intermolecular bonds are not much different in this aspect from other bonds, the main difference is their (typically much lower) strength.

1. What is the difference between release and absorption of energy on bonds?

Release of energy on bonds, also known as exothermic reactions, is when energy is released during a chemical reaction. This results in the formation of more stable bonds and a decrease in the overall energy of the system. On the other hand, absorption of energy on bonds, or endothermic reactions, is when energy is absorbed during a chemical reaction. This leads to the formation of less stable bonds and an increase in the overall energy of the system.

2. How does the strength of a bond affect the release or absorption of energy?

The strength of a bond plays a crucial role in the release or absorption of energy. Stronger bonds require more energy to break, resulting in a larger release of energy during a chemical reaction. In contrast, weaker bonds require less energy to break, resulting in a smaller release of energy. Similarly, stronger bonds will absorb more energy during a reaction compared to weaker bonds.

3. Can the release or absorption of energy on bonds be measured?

Yes, the release or absorption of energy on bonds can be measured using techniques such as calorimetry. This involves measuring the change in heat or temperature during a chemical reaction. The amount of energy released or absorbed can be calculated using the heat capacity of the substances involved and the change in temperature.

4. How do phase changes involve the release or absorption of energy on bonds?

Phase changes, such as melting and boiling, also involve the release or absorption of energy on bonds. During these processes, the bonds between molecules are either broken or formed, resulting in a release or absorption of energy, respectively. For example, when water vapor condenses into liquid water, energy is released as the bonds between water molecules become stronger.

5. How does the release or absorption of energy on bonds affect the overall energy of a system?

The release or absorption of energy on bonds can greatly affect the overall energy of a system. In exothermic reactions, the released energy can be used to do work, such as powering a chemical reaction or generating heat. In endothermic reactions, the absorbed energy can be used to overcome the activation energy and initiate the reaction. The overall energy of a system is constantly changing as bonds are formed and broken during chemical reactions.