Relevant equations for an airplane landing

In summary, the problem is that the model for acceleration does not seem to work. The author is trying to find a model for acceleration that satisfies a maximal bound on the allowed acceleration, and tries to model the acceleration as a function of time.
santimirandarp
The problem

I'm pasting the problem below mainly for the plot of y vs x.

DnRIV2.jpg

A possible way to think of it

I suppose the important thing here is to find y(t) with the condition that -amax<ay<amax, and vy(L/vp)=0
My attempt

I've modeled acceleration as a(t)=-kt and got an equation for y(t) as a function of t3 which can be replaced by L/v. But the problem is that, plotting on gnuplot, the solution doesn't convince me. Would you give me some hints on how to model a(t), please?

Attachments

• DnRIV2.jpg
    DnRIV2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a maximal bound on the allowed acceleration. How can you use this to go down as fast as possible if you do not care about having ##v_y = 0## when you land?

Orodruin said:
You have a maximal bound on the allowed acceleration. How can you use this to go down as fast as possible if you do not care about having ##v_y = 0## when you land?
Writing v(t)=-t2/2 I don't see any conclusion (v(0)=0). All I can see is that |v(t)| will increase continuously and of course that's wrong because at t=L/v, vy=0

Last edited:
No, you are just making an assumption that ##a = -kt##. There are no grounds for making this assumption and it leads to a false result. For times ##t < a_0/k##, it will not accelerate enough - leading to a slower descent than possible - and for ##t > a_0/k## it violates the requirement that ##|a| < a_0##.

Orodruin said:
No, you are just making an assumption that ##a = -kt##. There are no grounds for making this assumption and it leads to a false result. For times ##t < a_0/k##, it will not accelerate enough - leading to a slower descent than possible - and for ##t > a_0/k## it violates the requirement that ##|a| < a_0##.
Fine but acceleration is function of time, I just tried the simplest. Cause, for example, a(t)=1/t seems more complex. Do you see any way to solve it?

santimirandarp said:
Fine but acceleration is function of time, I just tried the simplest.
No you did not try the simplest. There is nothing stating that the acceleration must be continuous or given by an easy functional expression.

Orodruin said:
No you did not try the simplest. There is nothing stating that the acceleration must be continuous or given by an easy functional expression.
But if we state that a=amax wouldn't be wrong? I mean, it must change with time (at least its sign).

Orodruin said:
Oh I see. Do you mean it should be splitted up? But in that case it'd be quite unreal/unphysical.

santimirandarp said:
But in that case it'd be quite unreal/unphysical.
While it is true that you probably cannot change the acceleration instantly from one value to another, you can get close enough to it for it not to matter as long as the overall time-scale of the descent is much longer than the time it takes to reverse the acceleration.

After some more trials this is what I've got. For t>tc which is the time where acceleration change its sign,

v(t)=-amax*tlim+ amax*(t-tl)/
and
y(t)= -amax*t2lim+ amax*(t-tl)2/

as t=L/vp, replacing into t, deriving respect to L, and solving for L, it yields:

L=tc*vp

Any suggestion?

santimirandarp said:
v(t)=-amax*tlim+ amax*(t-tl)/
and
y(t)= -amax*t2lim+ amax*(t-tl)2/

Here you are guessing that the quickest way down is max acceleration down until at some point you apply max acceleration up. I think that is right. However then you somehow put this together with the horizontal motion and L. Your equations are in the y dimension. Stay there a minute.

Look at the first equation. They told you vy had to be zero when you reach the ground. What does that tell you about the two intervals?

Now look at your second equation. The initial vertical velocity is zero, so you don’t need a v0 t term for the first segment of descent. But is that true for the second segment? As you have it written the plane will wind up right back where it started.

Likes santimirandarp
Good points.

1) I think is correct because t=L/v, time of flight is independent of the dimension.

2) The time intervals of acceleration are identical, that follows from v(t).

3) The integration was wrong y(t)= yl -amax*tl*(t-tl)+ amax*(t-tl)2/2

I'm not sure of this last step. So tired of this problem.

santimirandarp said:

Still not right I’m afraid. Try thinking of it as two problems. First from H to H/2 with a down, then take the result as the initial conditions (position and velocity) for H/2 to 0 with a up.

Adding yl=H/2 it'd be complete isn't it?

santimirandarp said:

Actually, I think I was wrong. That wasn’t what was bothering me. I didn’t think the second term looked right. However, looking at it again I can’t figure out what I even thought was wrong. It looks ok to me. Sorry about that.

santimirandarp said:

In fact, hallelujah, it leads directly to where I would have started the problem. You have an expression for y(t) in the second half of the motion. You will definitely want that H/2 in there. Now you know when the plane lands y(t) = 0. Is there anything you can say about t at that time compared to tl?

santimirandarp said:
I'm a bit confused by your changing notation. Assuming tc, tl and tlim are all the time at which acceleration reverses, that's not quite what I get. What does your expression yield for y(tc)?

Edit: I tried interpreting tl as the time at landing, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Last edited:

What are the relevant equations for an airplane landing?

The relevant equations for an airplane landing include the lift equation, the drag equation, and the equations for weight and thrust. These equations help determine the forces acting on the airplane during landing.

How does the lift equation impact an airplane's landing?

The lift equation helps determine the amount of lift generated by the airplane's wings during landing. This is important for maintaining a safe and stable descent onto the runway.

What role does the drag equation play in an airplane's landing?

The drag equation helps determine the amount of drag acting on the airplane, which can affect the speed and control of the aircraft during landing. It is important for pilots to consider the drag forces when making adjustments during the approach and landing.

Are there any specific equations for calculating an airplane's weight during landing?

Yes, there is an equation for calculating the weight of an airplane, which takes into account the mass of the aircraft, the acceleration due to gravity, and any additional weight from fuel or cargo. This helps pilots ensure that the aircraft is within safe weight limits for landing.

How do the equations for thrust impact an airplane's landing?

The thrust equation helps determine the amount of thrust generated by the airplane's engines, which is crucial for maintaining proper speed and control during landing. It is important for pilots to carefully manage the thrust during the landing process to ensure a smooth and safe touchdown.