Remote control of a Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply

In summary, the power supply is old and needs to be replaced, but it is unclear what the input voltage specifications are. There may be a way to control the magnet remotely using the external input, but it is not clear how. The output voltage is DC, and it can output up to 130 volts and 65 amps.
ajohns2000
Hello and good day.

I am currently involved in research that seeks to utilized a Walker Scientific power supply and magnetic. The system is old but functional. We seek to utilize the magnet in order to conduct some low temperature experiments. We need information on this power supply, of which we have very little info available. I have contacted relevant persons at Walker Scientific here in the U.S. However, I have yet to receive a follow response from them.

It's a very large, green power supply, whose model number is HS1365 4SS. Specifically, we would like to control this magnet remotely via it's power supply. This may be a long shot, but is there anyone here with such experience in utilizing large magnet system such as these. I would much appreciate any useful response.

We are looking at using the external input(Ext. Input) on the front control panel to achieve this, however we do not know what the input control voltage specifications are.

Anyone?

Attachments

• 20180910_144314_resize.jpg
    20180910_144314_resize.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 418
  • 20180910_144303_resize.jpg
    20180910_144303_resize.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 20180827_111455_resize.jpg
    20180827_111455_resize.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 399
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can't find any specifications on the external input, you could try treating it as a black box and see what happens. What happens when you put 0 Volts across the external input? How about 0.1V? 0.5V? I can't see low voltages like these damaging the supply. Maybe you can characterize how it works. Just a guess, but one would think that the power supply current would be proportional to the external input voltage.

Thank you phyzguy. We thought about that, and if given no choice then we will do just that. But we would prefer to spend the majority of time we have, in doing experiments. Not that I think it would take a lot of time (maybe!). But I guess sometimes you don't have a choice.

Thanks again.

ajohns2000 said:
But I guess sometimes you don't have a choice.
I tried Googling for a User manual for the supply, but no luck so far. Have you been able to find anything? Even a datasheet or schematic would help...

BTW, is the output DC or AC? Do you have an idea of the range of voltages and currents that big thing can put out? That's a big magnet!

I found this on Google. Not exactly the same unit, but it says the External Input is a 0-10V input that controls the output current. I'm willing to bet the unit you have works the same way. Try what I said in Post #2.

Walker.png

Attachments

• Walker.png
    Walker.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 843
Likes jim hardy and berkeman
I have done the same. No luck with google. Output is D.C, 130 V, 65 A.

Attachments

• 20180910_144341_resize.jpg
    20180910_144341_resize.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 378
This equipment seems to be relatively widely known, I could find several pieces available for sale. Maybe you can contact some sellers for a manual.
I suggest you not to start experiencing blindly. Big electromagnets can become really destructive if something is not up to manual.

phyzguy said:
I found this on Google. Not exactly the same unit, but it says the External Input is a 0-10V input that controls the output current. I'm willing to bet the unit you have works the same way. Try what I said in Post #2.

View attachment 235552

O.K thank, much appreciated. Will have a go soon.

Rive said:
This equipment seems to be relatively widely known, I could find several pieces available for sale. Maybe you can contact some sellers for a manual.
I suggest you not to start experiencing blindly. Big electromagnets can become really destructive if something is not up to manual.

We kind of know that. Gentle as we go. Thanks again.

This is on the web page that bought Walker and LDJ: https://www.laboratorio.elettrofisico.com/laboratorio-elettrofisico-usa/
Although equipment is no longer manufactured under the Walker LDJ Scientific name, Laboratorio Elettrofisico continues to service magnetics equipment from Walker and LDJ Scientific. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about your equipment or are interested in a current model.

The contact info on that page:
BRUCE PITTMAN
Sales Manager, USA
(248) 340 7040 ext. 2005 – Office
(248) 736 7876 – Mobile
b.pittman@elettrofisico.com

JACOB HOHNER
Measuring Services & Lab Manager, USA
(248) 340 7040 ext. 2002 – Office
(248) 770 1775 – Mobile
j.hohner@elettrofisico.com

(248) 340-7040

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes berkeman
Tom.G said:
This is on the web page that bought Walker and LDJ: https://www.laboratorio.elettrofisico.com/laboratorio-elettrofisico-usa/
Although equipment is no longer manufactured under the Walker LDJ Scientific name, Laboratorio Elettrofisico continues to service magnetics equipment from Walker and LDJ Scientific. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about your equipment or are interested in a current model.

The contact info on that page:
BRUCE PITTMAN
Sales Manager, USA
(248) 340 7040 ext. 2005 – Office
(248) 736 7876 – Mobile
b.pittman@elettrofisico.com

JACOB HOHNER
Measuring Services & Lab Manager, USA
(248) 340 7040 ext. 2002 – Office
(248) 770 1775 – Mobile
j.hohner@elettrofisico.com

(248) 340-7040

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, we had gotten that already. But thank you nonetheless.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
To test whether 0-10 VDC signal varies output without risking the magnet make a dummy load. Perhaps you have stuff on hand to do it more cheaply, but full range could be checked using, for example, a bank of (6) 1500W/120V thermostatically controlled oil-filled heaters. Walmart sells them for less than $40/each.

One caveat - their thermostats aren't rated to switch DC current, but if you dial them to 100%, and limit test time so the heater don't get hot enough to require switching (in the 30 to 45 minute range) no damage will be done, and the heaters can be used later for their intended space heating purpose.

Thanks. And thanks everyone. We'll consider and discuss this suggested approach.

1. How does remote control of a Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply work?

The remote control of a Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply works by using an external computer or control system to send commands to the power supply unit. These commands can adjust the magnetic field strength, current, voltage, and other parameters of the magnet. The power supply unit then responds by adjusting the output accordingly.

2. What are the advantages of remote control for a Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply?

Remote control allows for easier and more precise adjustments of the magnet's parameters, as well as the ability to monitor and record data in real-time. It also eliminates the need for manual adjustments, reducing the risk of human error and increasing the safety of the experiment or process.

3. Can the Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply be remotely controlled from any location?

Yes, as long as there is a stable internet or network connection, the power supply unit can be remotely controlled from anywhere in the world. This allows for remote experiments, data collection, and control of processes without the need for physical presence.

4. Are there any limitations to remote control of the Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply?

The main limitation is the need for a stable and reliable internet or network connection. Any interruptions or fluctuations in the connection can affect the remote control and data collection process. Additionally, the power supply unit may have limited compatibility with certain computer systems or control software.

5. Is there a risk of security breaches with remote control of the Walker Scientific Magnet & Power Supply?

As with any remote control system, there is a potential risk of security breaches. However, measures can be taken to ensure secure communication and data transfer, such as using encryption and authentication protocols. It is important to follow recommended security practices and regularly update software to minimize the risk of security breaches.