Lab/benchtop supplies with many, many outputs?

• Thread starter f95toli
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a modular system for powering multiple devices in a lab setting. The current solution of using regular benchtop supplies is not practical and takes up a lot of space. The lab requires low noise, adjustable, and current clamping supplies. Suggestions were given for MeanWell DIN rail power supplies and ZK-4KX modules. The idea of using ready-made LM317/LM337 boards was also considered. The cost is not a major concern as the supplies are used for expensive measurement equipment.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Does anyone know of some sort of modular system similar to say CompactRIO or PXI but for DC supplies? Alternatively, if anyone knows of a manufacturer of lab supplies with ~10 outputs?
We have a somewhat ridiculous problem in my lab. As our experiments gets more complicated we have more and more "widgets" (mainly different types of low-noise microwave amplifiers) that needs a power (typically 5-15 V, 100-500 mA).
Currently, we are using an assortment of regular benchtop supplies to power everything but having say 6-8 lab supplies (each with 2-3 outputs) next to each other is not very practical and takes up a lot of space. We need the supplies to be reasonably low noise (and linear), adjustable and have current clamping in case we make a mistake (the widgets are typically quite expensive).

My question is if anyone knows of some sort of modular system similar to say CompactRIO or PXI but for DC supplies? Alternatively, if anyone knows of a manufacturer of lab supplies with ~10 outputs?

In the past we have built our own multi-output supplies (it is a good project for summer students who want to learn basic electronics) and that is an option but at the moment we have more money than time (too much work, not enough people) so I would prefer to buy something.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like such a seriously limited-market item that there would be little incentive for manufacturers to build such a device for commercial sale, but good luck.

I think I've seen something like that. Rack mount programmable PSU modules, for automated test systems.
It was some factory visit. I don't know the type/manufacturer :sorry:

f95toli said:
Summary:: Does anyone know of some sort of modular system similar to say CompactRIO or PXI but for DC supplies? Alternatively, if anyone knows of a manufacturer of lab supplies with ~10 outputs?

My question is if anyone knows of some sort of modular system similar to say CompactRIO or PXI but for DC supplies? Alternatively, if anyone knows of a manufacturer of lab supplies with ~10 outputs?
We use the MeanWell DIN Rail modular power supplies for applications like that. AC Mains input and a variety of output voltages and power levels (higher power versions are wider):

https://www.meanwell-web.com/en-gb/dinrail-powersupply/

1614790442938.png

Attachments

• 1614790416698.png
    1614790416698.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 90
Those MeanWell supplies are switching supplies with fixed output voltage. The ripple specs show typically 1%p-p ripple with extrnal filtering of 0.1uF & 47uF in parallel.

If switchers are acceptable try an Internet search for ZK-4KX. Those are buck-boost converters:
IN: 5.5V-30VDC,
OUT: 0.5-30VDC at 0-4A.

Drawbacks are:
1) The Negative is straight-thru (no isolation)
2) They come un-calibrated - you must calibrate with a known load (>12V >1A)
3) Thru-the-panel mounting
4) the single knob for adjusting V & I is annoying

Advantages:
A knob for adjusting V and I
Digital readout
$

Pricing is all over the place, USD$11 to $35, depending on where you find them.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the suggestions :smile:
The DIN rail solution looks very interesting. We typically try to avoid using switching supplies, low frequency noise can usually be quite easily filtered some switching supplies send out a LOT of high frequency crap. That said, a good quality switching supply might still be an option

The ZK-4KX modules look quite neat so is also worth looking at. They also gave me the idea of looking for other ready-made modules and I noticed that one can buy ready made LM317/LM337 boards with screw terminals and potientiometers that allows one to change the voltage (which we very rarely need to do). I guess one option would be to buy a bunch of these and then power several of them from a large linear supply.

Also, the price is not really an issue here. This is for work and the supplies are used to power measurement electronics worth many thousands of pounds (which in turn is part of setups worth hundreds of thousands...you get the picture) so I don't mind paying for good quality products.

Likes berkeman

1. What are lab/benchtop supplies with many, many outputs?

Lab/benchtop supplies with many, many outputs are devices used in scientific research laboratories to provide power and control signals to multiple instruments and devices simultaneously. They typically have numerous output channels, allowing for efficient and organized connections to various equipment.

2. What types of outputs do these supplies typically have?

These supplies can have a variety of outputs, including DC voltage, AC voltage, current, and digital control signals. Some may also have specialized outputs for specific instruments or devices.

3. How do lab/benchtop supplies with many, many outputs improve efficiency in the lab?

By having multiple outputs, these supplies eliminate the need for separate power sources for each instrument or device. This saves time and reduces clutter in the lab, making experiments and research more efficient.

4. What are some common uses for lab/benchtop supplies with many, many outputs?

These supplies are commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics. They can also be found in industrial settings for testing and quality control purposes.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a lab/benchtop supply with many, many outputs?

Some important factors to consider include the number and type of outputs needed, the voltage and current requirements of the connected instruments or devices, and the overall quality and reliability of the supply. It is also essential to ensure compatibility with existing equipment and to choose a reputable brand or manufacturer.