Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage?

In summary, the remote desktop client in windows is bandwidth intensive, however, upgrading to fibre optic broadband might help.
trollcast
Gold Member
Is the remote desktop client in windows really bandwidth intensive?

We get roughly 16mb/s down and 1mb/s up even at fairly peak times, however as soon as dad goes on his laptop to use his desktop computer back at the office the internet becomes horribly slow, it doesn't seem to be a speed issue more just like the connection has tonnes of latency?

I presume the desktop connection is eating through most of the availible bandwidth which is why the speed is still ok but its still laggy?

Would upgrading to fibre optic broadband maybe help? (My dads ISP contract is up in a couple of months) Or any settings on the router or desktop connection client that would help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here's some relevant information for you to read up on
http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/5efbaaac-c45f-4520-a2b4-97dd7d2ff66e/

Something else must be going on. I would imagine that a 16mbps connection should be good enough for RDP. You'd be using a small fraction of that bandwidth. Try to use another Remote Desktop utility like VNC or something and see if you still have the same issue. Help narrow down if the issue was bandwidth or software.

RDC is a hog, but I remember using it just fine when I'd leave my computer on in the university dorms when I'd go home for break. That was a good ten years ago.

I don't think he can use other connection software as he has to connect to the server at the office first and then log into his desktop machine from the server.

It maybe a general connection issue as it seems to be doing it intermittently even when there's only 1 PC connected to the network, it'll load up a bit of the page and then stop, load a bit more, stop again and then load a bit more?

You might try, just as a free comparison, the Google chrome remote desktop sharing.

You need chrome on both ends, install the free add-on, start it on the destination, communicate the code number to the other end to type into the add-on there. The destination needs to confirm they want to keep this open every ten minutes.

I used that to deal with a support problem where they had less than a megabit DSL on their end. I was really surprised how responsive it was. All you have to do is keep that chrome window open and keep confirming on the far end, everything else is just like you have control of the console. Maybe this would give you a speed and reliability comparison.

There is supposed to be a completely different Google app that doesn't require the confirmation and the code, but every time I try to download that I get a page won't load. Maybe Google dropped that.

What is "Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage"?

Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) bandwidth usage refers to the amount of network data that is transmitted between a remote desktop server and a client during a remote desktop session. This includes all data, such as screen updates, keyboard and mouse inputs, and audio and video streaming.

How is "Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage" measured?

Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage is typically measured in kilobytes or megabytes per second (KBps or MBps). This can be monitored using network monitoring tools, such as Windows Performance Monitor or third-party applications.

What factors can affect "Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage"?

The main factors that can affect Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage include the screen resolution and color depth of the remote desktop session, the number of applications and processes running on the server, the quality of the network connection, and any additional features or settings used (such as audio and video streaming).

How can I reduce "Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage"?

To reduce Remote Desktop Connection bandwidth usage, you can adjust the screen resolution and color depth of the remote desktop session to a lower setting, close any unnecessary applications or processes on the server, and use network optimization tools such as Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) compression. You can also limit the use of features such as audio and video streaming, or use a faster and more stable network connection.

What is the recommended bandwidth for "Remote Desktop Connection"?

The recommended bandwidth for Remote Desktop Connection varies depending on the specific needs of the user or organization. As a general guideline, a minimum of 128 Kbps is recommended for a basic remote desktop session, and higher bandwidth (such as 1 Mbps or more) is recommended for more demanding tasks such as video streaming or graphic-intensive applications.