Removal of air from water using Henry Law

In summary, the conversation is about a design project that involves extracting air out of water using Henry's law and a centrifuge. The person is seeking advice on how to replace the bulky centrifuge with a smaller equipment that can still achieve the same function. They also mention using the method for a scuba system and removing carbon dioxide from the extracted air.
Geegraph
Okay, I am doing a design project which needs to extract air out of water. Here is the situation.

Using Henry's law, an Israeli Inventor Bodner used a centrifuge which rotates rapidly thus creating under pressure inside a small sealed chamber containing sea water thus extracting the air out of the water.

The following link shows an article of this process.
http://www.isracast.com/article.aspx?id=63

I was planning to use his method to extract the air out, however the size of the centrifuge which is about 12" diameter, 20" height is way too big and bulky for my design. Therefore I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a method to replace the centrifuge to a smaller equipment which can yet perform the same function.

As I am not a Physics person, I am very grateful to those who have helped. Do advice me on your take for this process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to remove the air from the water? Or are you trying to recover the air from the water for some other use. If you just want to deaerate the water bubble pure nitrogen through it or add sodium sulfite to it.

Its actually meant for a scuba system. Hence I was planning to use that to convert sea water to air which includes about 64% N2, 34% O2 and 1.5% CO2. Following which, Carbon dioxide would be removed and the remaining air would be transmitted to the divers.

1. How does Henry's Law work?

Henry's Law states that the amount of gas dissolved in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas above the liquid. This means that as the pressure of a gas above a liquid increases, more of that gas will dissolve in the liquid.

2. What factors affect the rate of air removal through Henry's Law?

The rate of air removal through Henry's Law is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of gas being removed. Higher temperatures and lower pressures generally result in faster removal of gases, while the solubility of the gas in water also plays a role.

3. Can Henry's Law be used to remove all gases from water?

No, Henry's Law is most effective for removing gases that are highly soluble in water, such as oxygen and carbon dioxide. Gases that are less soluble, such as nitrogen, may not be effectively removed using this method.

4. How is Henry's Law used in water treatment processes?

In water treatment, Henry's Law is often used in aeration processes where air is introduced to water to remove dissolved gases. This can improve the taste and smell of the water and also help to remove harmful gases such as hydrogen sulfide.

5. Are there any limitations to using Henry's Law for air removal in water?

One limitation of using Henry's Law for air removal is that it is a slow process and may not be practical for large volumes of water. Additionally, it only removes gases that are at equilibrium with the water, so it may not be effective for removing gases that are quickly being introduced into the water.