Removing condensation from a cooling jacket

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to remove condensation from a glass vessel with a disconnected cooling jacket. They consider using a vacuum or a non-condensing liquid such as acetone. They also mention the possibility of using a hair dryer or nitrogen to prevent future condensation.
rwooduk
I have a glass vessel with a cooling jacket which previously had cold water running through it. However now it is disconnected from the pump and the jacket is empty, and there is condensation in the jacket from the little water that was left in there.

How can I get rid of this condensation? Would a vacuum work? Is there a liquid I could put through the jacket that does not condense? I could put the vessel in an oven but I'm worried the plastic parts will melt and I don't want to risk the glass vessel cracking.

I need to take photos of the reactions happening in the vessel but I can't see them properly due to the condensation. I tried filling the jacket with water, but even though its transparent the surrounding water is interferring with the photography.

Anyone heard of anything like this before?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Warm air stream through jacket or round the outside . Hair dryer on low .

Likes Chestermiller, rwooduk and billy_joule
Will try thanks! Also (don't know why I didn't think of this) Acetone! I can run it through and it shouldn't condense!

Thanks again!

Acetone and evacuating with a vacuum works well. For anyone with this problem in future

Likes Tom.G
For a permanent solution (for long-term downtime), you can get a nitrogen bottle, blow nitrogen through it, then cap it. No moisture will be in it at all.

Likes rwooduk

1. How does condensation form in a cooling jacket?

Condensation forms in a cooling jacket when the temperature of the jacket is lower than the dew point temperature of the surrounding air. This causes water vapor in the air to condense on the surface of the jacket.

2. What are the potential consequences of condensation in a cooling jacket?

Condensation in a cooling jacket can lead to corrosion, mold growth, and reduced cooling efficiency. It can also cause damage to sensitive equipment or products being cooled.

3. What methods can be used to remove condensation from a cooling jacket?

There are several methods that can be used to remove condensation from a cooling jacket, including using a dehumidifier, installing a drain or drip pan, and using a desiccant material. It is important to regularly maintain and clean these methods to ensure their effectiveness.

4. How can condensation be prevented in a cooling jacket?

Condensation can be prevented in a cooling jacket by properly insulating the jacket to prevent it from reaching the dew point temperature, using a larger cooling jacket to reduce the temperature difference, or by using a corrosion-resistant material for the jacket.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when removing condensation from a cooling jacket?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear and follow safety guidelines when removing condensation from a cooling jacket. This may include wearing gloves, goggles, or a respirator depending on the chemicals or substances being used for cleaning. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste materials.