Removing "Foreign" objects from Excel notebook file?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a picture-like object in an Excel file that cannot be deleted, as well as the benefits of using a newer version of Excel. The conversation also mentions a British company called Pivigo and asks if the other person has heard of it.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Having trouble deleting "Foreign Object" picture-like from an Excel 2007 file.
Hi,
I'm having trouble dealing a "picture-like" object that I copied from a webpage (.html) file. It is the larger white rectangle in rows 194-195, that reads "United StatesStates"
IMG_20211209_190407_01.jpg

It just doesn't go away when I delet the the row. I tried to scrape the file directly into Excel from the site , but got a '403' error message (forbidden). How can I delete the row without affecting other files?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try clicking on the picture and hitting delete.

Office 365 Family at GBP80 a year (not sure how much it is in US) is worth every penny to me.

Likes WWGD
pbuk said:
Try clicking on the picture and hitting delete.

Office 365 Family at GBP80 a year (not sure how much it is in US) is worth every penny to me.
Thank you, though I'm not sure I understand you. I'm using Excel 2007. You mean the newer versions
will (more likely) have a way of addressing this issue? And, sorry, r-clicking did not work. I just copied all previous rows into a new sheet. Hey, can't overdo the practice of data cleaning.

On a separate note, any chance you've heard of this British company Pivigo? Have you heard anything about it?

WWGD said:
Thank you, though I'm not sure I understand you. I'm using Excel 2007. You mean the newer versions
will (more likely) have a way of addressing this issue?
Probably not, but newer versions play a LOT better with all kinds of connections, as well as do a lot of other stuff better. If you are at all serious about data science (or anything really) on Excel you need to be on the current version.

WWGD said:
And, sorry, r-clicking did not work. I just copied all previous rows into a new sheet. Hey, can't overdo the practice of data cleaning.
Glad you got it sorted.

WWGD said:
On a separate note, any chance you've heard of this British company Pivigo? Have you heard anything about it?
Yes, haven't worked with them personally but I know they are doing stuff with clients I know. Looks like there was some corporate finance activity this Spring.

Likes WWGD

1. How do I remove foreign objects from an Excel notebook file?

To remove foreign objects from an Excel notebook file, go to the "File" tab and select "Info". Then, click on "Check for Issues" and choose "Inspect Document". In the pop-up window, make sure the "Document Properties and Personal Information" option is selected and click "Inspect". Finally, click "Remove All" to delete any foreign objects.

2. What are foreign objects in an Excel notebook file?

Foreign objects in an Excel notebook file refer to any non-standard objects or data that have been inserted into the file. This could include images, embedded documents, or other types of content that are not part of the original spreadsheet.

3. Can foreign objects in an Excel notebook file cause issues?

Yes, foreign objects in an Excel notebook file can cause various issues such as slow performance, formatting errors, or even crashes. It is important to remove these objects to ensure the file runs smoothly.

4. Is it possible to prevent foreign objects from being inserted into an Excel notebook file?

Yes, it is possible to prevent foreign objects from being inserted into an Excel notebook file. You can do this by setting the file to be read-only or by using protection features to restrict the type of content that can be added to the file.

5. Is there a way to automatically remove foreign objects from an Excel notebook file?

Yes, there are third-party tools and add-ins that can help you automatically scan and remove foreign objects from your Excel notebook file. These tools can save time and effort, especially if you frequently work with large and complex spreadsheets.