Removing the amydala of snoring children?

• Thread starter RabbitWho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of enlarged tonsils in causing snoring and how their removal may improve ADHD. The conversation also mentions a study and the Spanish words for tonsils and amygdala.
RabbitWho
I think this is a case of an inebriated translator.. Or someone whose attention is lacking due to a problem with snoring and who needs their amygdale removed..

The book is Attention: Theory and Practice - by Addie Johnson and Robert W. Procter. I am reading it in Spanish translation, I don't have access to it in English. The exact sentence:

Dado que el ronquido está frecuentemente causado por una apnea, la cual puede deberse a la presencia de amígdalas de gran tamaño, etirpar las amígdalas podría, en algunos casos, mejorar el cuadro de TDAH.

My translation: Given that snoring is frequently caused by an apnea, which can be due to the presence of large amygdalae, removing the amygdale could, in some cases, improve ADHD.

Am I right in thinking this is completely wrong?
There is no citation, but I found this study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3468947/

And the following sentence:

The estimated source generator in response to the frequent stimuli for control children was in the limbic lobe (estimated in the uncus of the amygdala).

Biology news on Phys.org
Ah ha ha ha! Guess what happened! The Spanish word for Tonsils is Amigdala (Pronounced like the English Amygdala) ! The Spanish for Amygdala is Cuerpo amigdalino or amígdala cerebral ("brain tonsil")

Sorry for wasting your time. But maybe sometime in your future a Spanish friend or patient will say they have amígdala troubles and you'll know not to recommend anti-depressants or counselling.

Likes Ryan_m_b and berkeman

1. Can removing the amydala effectively cure snoring in children?

Yes, removing the amydala (also known as a tonsillectomy) is a common and effective treatment for snoring in children. The amydala is a gland in the back of the throat that can become enlarged and obstruct the airway, leading to snoring. By removing the amydala, the airway is cleared and snoring is reduced or eliminated.

2. At what age can a child have their amydala removed?

The ideal age for an amydala removal is between 3 and 7 years old. This is when the amydala is most likely to cause snoring and other issues such as sleep apnea. However, the procedure can be done at any age if necessary.

3. What is the recovery process like after having the amydala removed?

The recovery process varies for each child, but typically takes about 1-2 weeks. During this time, the child may experience some discomfort, difficulty swallowing, and bad breath. It is important for the child to rest and drink plenty of fluids during this time.

4. Are there any risks or complications associated with amydala removal?

As with any surgery, there are some risks and potential complications associated with amydala removal. These may include bleeding, infection, and adverse reactions to anesthesia. However, these risks are low and can be minimized by choosing an experienced surgeon.

5. Will removing the amydala also improve other health issues in children?

In addition to reducing snoring, removing the amydala can also improve other health issues in children such as sleep apnea, frequent throat infections, and difficulty breathing. It can also lead to better sleep quality and overall well-being.

Back