Renormalized Feynmann Rules (derivation)

In summary, to derive the Feynman rules for the kinetic counterterm in renormalization, you can treat it as a new interaction term and derive the associated vertices in the same way as the familiar phi^4 interaction term. This may seem arbitrary at first, but it is clarified once you understand the concept.
JCCJ
I'm studing the basics of renormalization (with phi^4 theory) and once you write the renormalized lagrangian with the counterterms, how do you derive the feynmann rules asociated to the kinetic counterterm?

---∅--- = i(p^2 δ Z - δ m) How??...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to derive the Feynman rule for e.g. the phi^4 interaction turn? You can treat the two counterterms ##\delta_m \phi^2## and ##\delta_Z \partial_\mu \phi \partial^\mu \phi## as new interactions, and derive the associated Feynman rules for the vertices they produce in the same way you derive the Feynman rule for the familiar phi^4 interaction term.

Thanks!
Yes I did it,
I was puzzled because at first glance it seemed to me arbitrary regard this kinetic counterterm as part of the interaction hamiltonian and the standar kinectic term not, but I have clarified myself.

Related to Renormalized Feynmann Rules (derivation)

1. What are Renormalized Feynman Rules?

Renormalized Feynman Rules are a set of mathematical rules used in quantum field theory to calculate the probabilities of interactions between particles. They take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations and allow for the calculation of more accurate and physically meaningful results.

2. What is the derivation process for Renormalized Feynman Rules?

The derivation process for Renormalized Feynman Rules involves several steps, including the use of regularization and renormalization techniques. These techniques involve introducing a cut-off parameter and adjusting the coupling constants to remove any divergences in the calculations. The end result is a set of rules that can be used to calculate finite and physically meaningful results.

3. How do Renormalized Feynman Rules differ from Standard Feynman Rules?

The main difference between Renormalized Feynman Rules and Standard Feynman Rules is that the former takes into account the effects of quantum fluctuations, while the latter does not. Standard Feynman Rules can lead to infinite and unphysical results, whereas Renormalized Feynman Rules provide a more accurate and reliable way to calculate interactions between particles.

4. What are the advantages of using Renormalized Feynman Rules?

The main advantage of using Renormalized Feynman Rules is that they allow for the calculation of physically meaningful and finite results. This is especially important in quantum field theory, where the effects of quantum fluctuations can have a significant impact on the interactions between particles. Renormalized Feynman Rules also provide a more accurate description of these interactions compared to Standard Feynman Rules.

5. Are there any limitations to using Renormalized Feynman Rules?

While Renormalized Feynman Rules are a powerful tool in quantum field theory, they do have some limitations. They can only be applied to certain types of interactions and may not be applicable in certain situations, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields. Additionally, the calculations involved in deriving Renormalized Feynman Rules can be complex and time-consuming, making them less practical for some applications.