Representation of a threaded section

In summary, the conversation is about solving a drawing exercise and whether a cross section view is enough or if additional views are needed. The discussion also touches on the dimensions needed for building the body from metal and the use of symbols and notes in the drawing. The conversation ends with a thank you.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
look at the image
Relevant Equations
engineering drawing
Greetings!
I´m trying to solve the following exercice
1656950390227.png

1656950426899.png
I have done the following drawing for the cross section
1656954791464.jpeg
and I want to know if I need to add a top view or any other additional view? (is the cross section enough)

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just imagine that you have to build that body from a chunk of metal.
What dimensions would you need?
Is any of the dimensions shown in the isometric drawing not needed to be included in your side or elevation view?

I believe that I could do it using that single view, as long as the symbol for diameter is properly used where needed, and a note specifying one single lateral hole is added.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
Lnewqban said:
Just imagine that you have to build that body from a chunk of metal.
What dimensions would you need?
Is any of the dimensions shown in the isometric drawing not needed to be included in your side or elevation view?

I believe that I could do it using that single view, as long as the symbol for diameter is properly used where needed, and a note specifying one single lateral hole is added.
thanks a million!

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a threaded section?

A threaded section refers to a portion of a material or object that has been cut or formed with a helical groove or ridge, known as a thread, for the purpose of connecting or securing it to another object.

2. How is a threaded section represented in engineering drawings?

A threaded section is typically represented on engineering drawings using specific symbols and notations, such as a series of short, evenly spaced lines or a triangle with a line through it, to indicate the presence of threads.

3. What are the different types of threaded sections?

The most common types of threaded sections include external threads, which are located on the outside of an object, and internal threads, which are located on the inside of an object. Other types include left-handed threads, fine threads, and coarse threads.

4. How are threaded sections measured?

Threaded sections are typically measured in terms of the major diameter, which is the largest diameter of the thread, and the pitch, which is the distance between each thread. The number of threads per inch or millimeter is also used to measure threaded sections.

5. What are the advantages of using a threaded section?

Using a threaded section allows for easy assembly and disassembly of parts, as well as secure and reliable connections. It also allows for adjustment of tension or pressure between two objects, and can withstand high levels of stress and vibration.