Requirements for passing exams

• Thread starter GhostLoveScore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary: If you look at Mary Boas's "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science", you'll see that she states theorems without proofs. She'll carefully describe the limits of validity of such theorems, etc., but she doesn't waste time in showing how they come about. In the preface, she encourages students who are interested in those things to pursue them, but she realizes that most physics and engineering students do not have the time or inclination to do that. So she goes straight into how to use these math. I believe Arfken's text does almost the same thing but with a bit more math.In summary, this question does not seem to fit in this forum. However, it is worth noting that
GhostLoveScore
I'm not sure if this question belongs to this forum, but here it goes.

When you were studying physics or mathematics, specifically mathematical theorems, what was required for passing the exam? We had a course called Mathematical Methods of physics and we had about 20 larger theorems that had proofs about half page or full page long. We also had bunch of smaller theorems and we were required to memorize all of them and we would have to write a proof for few randomly selected in the oral exam. I've always found that pretty unnecessary, memorizing stuff, and I was wondering if it was the same in other countries?

Physics news on Phys.org
What level of exam are you referring to? Graduate, Undergrad or High School.

In Highschool, we had to know how to do geometry proofs and trig derivations. In college, there were some proofs in Abstract Algebra and Topology that I remember but they were limited to the exam time of 45 minutes. In college Classical Mechanics, we were allowed to use a Math tables book for integrals and formulas similarly in QUantum Mechanics.

In graduate school, I remember we had to know Bessel, Legendre and Laguerre functions from memory as our QM prof required that. It was very tough for me as I had returned to school after having graduated 5 years earlier with a degree in Physics (ie I forgot much of what I learned in my higher level math courses if I ever learned it at all).

Likes GhostLoveScore
Undergraduate

If you understand what's going in, there is not a lot of memorising needed. Just knowing the key steps should often be enough to fill in the details.

GhostLoveScore said:
I'm not sure if this question belongs to this forum, but here it goes.

When you were studying physics or mathematics, specifically mathematical theorems, what was required for passing the exam? We had a course called Mathematical Methods of physics and we had about 20 larger theorems that had proofs about half page or full page long. We also had bunch of smaller theorems and we were required to memorize all of them and we would have to write a proof for few randomly selected in the oral exam. I've always found that pretty unnecessary, memorizing stuff, and I was wondering if it was the same in other countries?

First of all, the criteria for "passing" always depends on the instructor. He/she will have his/her own standards, based on the syllabus, on what level of knowledge is required to pass.

However, when I read your description of what you had to do, it felt rather odd for a course in "mathematical methods of physics". Usually, this is NOT a course on math, but rather on HOW to use the math. I've taken such a course before, and we never had to deal with proving theorems, etc. Rather, it involves problems in which we need to know how to use the math to solve those problems.

Was this course run by the math department? Or was it taught by a math faculty member?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
However, when I read your description of what you had to do, it felt rather odd for a course in "mathematical methods of physics". Usually, this is NOT a course on math, but rather on HOW to use the math. I've taken such a course before, and we never had to deal with proving theorems, etc. Rather, it involves problems in which we need to know how to use the math to solve those problems.

Was this course run by the math department? Or was it taught by a math faculty member?

I'm not 100% sure about the assistant, but professor was from math department.
Using math to solve problems was one half of the course, knowing the theorems was the other half.

GhostLoveScore said:
I'm not 100% sure about the assistant, but professor was from math department.

That would explain why the heavy emphasis on proving theorems.

Using math to solve problems was one half of the course, knowing the theorems was the other half.

If you look at Mary Boas's "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Science", you'll see that she states theorems without proofs. She'll carefully describe the limits of validity of such theorems, etc., but she doesn't waste time in showing how they come about. In the preface, she encourages students who are interested in those things to pursue them, but she realizes that most physics and engineering students do not have the time or inclination to do that. So she goes straight into how to use these math. I believe Arfken's text does almost the same thing but with a bit more math.

That, in essence, is what I consider to be a course in mathematical physics.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu and GhostLoveScore

1. What are the basic requirements for passing exams?

The basic requirements for passing exams vary depending on the specific exam and educational institution. However, some common requirements may include attending classes and lectures, completing assignments and homework, studying course materials, and demonstrating understanding of the subject matter through exams or assessments. It is important to consult with your instructor or school to understand the specific requirements for your exams.

2. How can I prepare effectively for exams?

Effective preparation for exams involves creating a study plan, reviewing class notes and materials, practicing with past exams or sample questions, and seeking help from instructors or tutors if needed. It is also important to get enough rest, eat well, and manage stress during the exam preparation period.

3. Are there any specific strategies for passing exams?

Yes, there are various strategies that can help improve exam performance. These include active studying techniques such as summarizing notes, creating flashcards, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also helpful to practice time management and prioritization during the exam, and to carefully read and follow instructions.

4. Can I request accommodations for exams?

If you have a documented disability or health condition, you may be eligible for accommodations during exams. This could include extra time, a quiet testing environment, or the use of assistive technology. It is important to communicate with your school's disability services office to determine eligibility and make necessary arrangements.

5. What should I do if I fail an exam?

Failing an exam can be a frustrating and discouraging experience, but it is important to not give up. Take the time to reflect on what areas you struggled with and why, and use this information to adjust your study habits for future exams. It may also be helpful to meet with your instructor to discuss your performance and identify areas for improvement. Remember, one exam does not define your abilities, and with perseverance and determination, you can improve and succeed in future exams.