Rescuing a Stranded Partner in Space: Utilizing Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation is about a scenario where a person is stranded in space with their injured partner and they need to find a way to get back to their spaceship using the laws of conservation of linear and angular momentum. Some possible solutions discussed include throwing the partner away, using remaining air as a rocket, and rotating themselves to change direction. The person is also seeking help with understanding the laws of angular and linear momentum and how they relate to this problem.
fratjock20
Biomechanics Question - Please Help!

My question is: You and your 100 kg partner are stranded in space 100m from your spaceship, you are running out of air and you have no equipment at all to help you get back. You are fine but your partner is badly injured and unable to move at all. Your partner is directly between you and the ship.

Using the concepts of conservation of linear and angular momentum, explain how you could get back to your spaceship in a reasonable degree of control facing towards it so that you can fly the spacecraft to retrieve your partner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had something to throw it would be a lot easier to do, all I could think about is wiggle in some funky way to try to gain some speed.

Wheres the biomechanics in this?

Easy, you just push off your partner, and go get him later. Am I missing something ?

Well youre facing the ship, but your partner is between you and the ship, facing you. I thought if you could somehow spin with him to trade places with him it might work, but as it stands, he is in your way.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I interpreted directly between as half way between, doesn't that make sense? If he's 50m away you can't do much. If you can reach him, pulling him behind you will pull you towards the ship.

I attached the picture for the question to clear things up (#2). I also need help with #3 if anyone knows angular momentum well. Thanks!

Attachments

• Scan10001.BMP
    64.4 KB · Views: 709
#2: Grab your partner and rotate yourselves until the line between the two of you is perpendicular to the line from the spaceship to you. At this point let go, your tangential velocity is aimed right at the spaceship.

Can't read #3

thanks whozum. can you just start spinning in space tho? wouldn't you have to initiate it somehow? #3 is asking if the angular momentum is shown by the big arrow, what direction is the guy twisting and somersaulting and name 2 ways to stop the rotation. thanks again!

You can apply a force in space. You can apply a torque in space, if you apply the right torque ideally you would end up going in a circle, if you let go at the right time your centripetal force will be 0 and your tangential velocity will aim directly at the ship. Moving your arm is applying a force. Why wouldn't you be able to do stuff with it?

Ok, this is true. Now what exactly could you and the partner do to create a torque to start the spinning. Remember, I need to be facing the ship when I get there and I need to be in control of my speed (preferably slowing down). Thanks :)!

You can't slow down, there are no forces acting on you once you let go of your body. You can pull him really slow which would make your velocity low. If you grab your partner and shift him to the left but hold on, the result will be both of you traveling in a circle, that's traveling in a much smaller circle. Dont worry about this part. The only way I can think of is as you let go of him try to push off in a manner that will turn you towards him yet not induce a spin.

I can't open that, but I'll go with the typed question. The only things that I can think of are:
a) If you're buddy is within reach, throw him away from the ship and let the reaction accelerate you toward it. Then fly over and get him while you can still find him.
b) Use some of your remaining air as a rocket.

edit: If you're looking for specific formulae or laws or the like, then you'll have to wait for someone else to respond. I don't know 'em. :redface:

Last edited:
Didnt we already solve this problem in your other thread

ok thanks...this is really frustrating me...im supposed to incorporate the laws of angular and linear momentum but don't know how. my prof says it isn't easy, so there must be a trick to it maybe...

I merged the two threads.
Please do not double post!

I attached here the questions I need help with. Please help with #2 and #3! Thanks!

Attachments

• Scan10001.BMP
    64.4 KB · Views: 507
Well why don't you start by telling us the laws of angular and linear momentum and their relatinoship to this problem.

Related to Rescuing a Stranded Partner in Space: Utilizing Conservation of Momentum

What is biomechanics?

Biomechanics is the study of the movement and mechanics of living organisms, including humans, animals, and plants. It combines principles and methods from physics, engineering, and biology to understand how different structures and systems within the body work together to produce movement.

Why is biomechanics important?

Biomechanics has a wide range of applications, including improving sports performance, preventing injuries, designing medical devices, and understanding the effects of aging and disease on movement. It also helps us better understand the evolutionary and functional adaptation of different organisms.

What are some common tools and techniques used in biomechanics?

Some common tools and techniques used in biomechanics include motion capture systems, force plates, electromyography (EMG), and computer simulations. These tools allow scientists to measure and analyze various aspects of movement, such as joint angles, muscle activity, and forces applied to the body.

How does biomechanics relate to other fields of study?

Biomechanics is an interdisciplinary field that draws from various areas of study, including physics, engineering, anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology. It also has applications in sports science, rehabilitation, ergonomics, and orthopedics.

What are some current research topics in biomechanics?

Some current research topics in biomechanics include the development of new prosthetic devices, the role of biomechanics in sports performance and injury prevention, the effects of aging on movement, and the use of biomechanical principles in the design of medical treatments and interventions.