Research ideas for a high school student

In summary, a high school student is looking for ideas for a physics research project related to aerodynamics or aeronautics. Another participant suggests exploring the efficiency of rechargeable batteries and how it relates to electric cars and fuel efficiency. The project is seen as an easy and trendy topic that would look impressive on a college application. The student expresses gratitude for the suggestion.
t.locurto
Hello,

I am new to this forum and to research itself. I am a high school students that wants to do a physics research project to put on my college resume and to prepare myself for college curriculum. Right now I am a student pilot so i was thinking of doing something with aerodynamics or aeronautically related. However I am not particularly picky but i want to try to stay away from theoretical research. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks!

T. LoCurto

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An easy and trendy open-ended theme is rechargable battery efficiency. Charge up some niMH batteries, carefully recording joules needed to charge, and then discharge, measuring joules of work. Experiment with charging schedules, different types of batteries, temperature variations, etc. Wrap it all up with hand-waving comparisons to electric car needs and fuel efficiency. Give it a title like "Analysis of niMH vehicle battery charging characteristics and hybrid automobile efficiencies." and it will look really great on any college app.

Fernbauer,

Thank you so much for your reply, I could definitely use that and it wouldn't be too hard to do. It is also a major topic in today's technology, so I might just use that. Thanks again!

Last edited:

What are some good research ideas for a high school student?

1. How does social media usage affect the mental health of teenagers?

2. What are the effects of different types of music on studying and concentration?

3. How does sleep deprivation impact academic performance in high school students?

4. What are the environmental impacts of fast fashion and how can individuals make more sustainable fashion choices?

5. How does screen time before bed affect the quality of sleep in teenagers?