Research in materials science for physics grad school

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate physics major looking for research opportunities in condensed matter physics at their university. However, they have found limited research options in this field and are considering doing research through the materials science/engineering department. They are wondering if this would be frowned upon by physics graduate programs or if they would be better off doing research in a different field within the physics department. The other speaker reassures them that materials science is closely related to applied physics and doing research outside of the physics department is acceptable."
Alexmer
I am an undergrad physics major at a US university. I plan on attending grad school for condensed matter physics, so I've been looking for research opportunities here. There is limited condensed matter research, however, and most of it is done through the materials science/engineering department. Would it be looked down on by physics grad programs if I did my undergrad research with a lab in that department? Or would I be better off doing undergrad research in a different field within the physics department?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, a lot of materials science would be considered applied physics and do very similar things. It's fine to do your research out of the department, there is a lot of physics related research going on all over in engineering, chemistry, biophysics, etc.

What is the importance of research in materials science for physics grad school?

Research in materials science is crucial for physics grad school because it allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties and behaviors of materials. This knowledge is essential for developing new technologies and solving complex problems in various fields of physics.

What types of research are typically conducted in materials science for physics grad school?

Research in materials science for physics grad school can cover a wide range of topics, including the synthesis and characterization of new materials, the study of material properties and behaviors, and the development of new materials for specific applications. Students may also conduct theoretical research to understand the underlying principles of materials science.

What techniques and tools are commonly used in materials science research?

Materials science research often involves the use of various techniques and tools, such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and computational modeling. These tools allow researchers to examine the structure, properties, and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level, providing valuable insights into their characteristics and potential applications.

How does research in materials science contribute to advancements in physics?

Research in materials science has a significant impact on the field of physics by providing a deeper understanding of the physical properties and behaviors of materials. This knowledge is essential for developing new technologies and solving complex problems in fields such as nanotechnology, renewable energy, and quantum mechanics.

What are some potential career opportunities for those with a graduate degree in materials science for physics?

Graduates with a degree in materials science for physics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including semiconductor technology, aerospace engineering, and biomedical research. They may also work in academic or government research institutions, developing new materials and technologies to advance the field of physics.