Research on Lock-in Amplifiers

In summary, Hugo has used lock-in amplifiers in the past, and is familiar with how they work. He would be happy to help with the research, and suggests using a modern, complex IC instead of an older model.
Hugo_Researcher
Dear Physics Forums,

For a research we are conducting, we're seeking some input from users of a Lock-in Amplifier.

If you use a Lock-in Amplifier, could you provide me with a few answers to the following questions?
  • What's your overall experience with lock-in amplifiers?
  • Have you encountered any problems when working the lock-in amplifiers?
  • What would you like to get improved on current lock-in amplifiers?
  • What lock-in amplifiers did you use?
Thank you in advance! I would like to start a good discussion with all of you!

Kind regards,

Hugo
University of Twente

Engineering news on Phys.org
I frequently use lock-in amplifiers and I'd be happy to help.
However, I am not sure the questions really make sense; they sort-of imply that there is a sensitive alternative to using a lock-in amplifier whereas in most of the situations they are used it is the only (sensible) type of instrument you could use for that type of measurement, it is rare for there to be an alternative to using a lock-in.
To see what I mean just imagine asking the same questions about say voltmeters.

One can of course discuss pros/cons of different models (or even say analog lock-ins vs. DSP based ones) but that doesn't seem to be what you are asking:smile:

I used phase locked loops for some analog signal communications decades ago.

This book was the "Bible" back then.
https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_signeticsdcsPLLApplications_5800304

I learned the basics with NE565 PLL and 567 tone decoder. I was able to FM modulate telephone DTMF signals onto inaudible ~25khz carriers and send them all over a power plant via the PA system without affecting its use for voice communication..

There are much newer and more complex IC's available now.

Good luck with your investigations. PLL's are a LOT of fun.

Welcome to the PF, @Hugo_Researcher

We normally do not allow survey/interview-type threads. But as long as this thread is confined to the technical discussion of lock-in amplifiers (and no personal information is requested), it may be okay. The Mentors will monitor the thread going forward. Thank you.

1. What is a lock-in amplifier?

A lock-in amplifier is a sensitive electronic device used to measure and extract small signals buried in noise. It works by synchronizing the measurement signal with a reference signal, allowing for the detection of weak signals in the presence of noise.

2. How does a lock-in amplifier work?

A lock-in amplifier works by multiplying the input signal with a reference signal that has the same frequency and phase. The resulting signal is then passed through a low-pass filter, which removes any high-frequency noise. The output of the filter is then averaged over time, resulting in a highly precise measurement of the signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a lock-in amplifier?

Lock-in amplifiers offer several advantages for research purposes, including high sensitivity, low noise, and the ability to measure signals with a high signal-to-noise ratio. They also have a wide frequency range and can be used for both AC and DC measurements.

4. What types of research can benefit from using a lock-in amplifier?

Lock-in amplifiers are widely used in a variety of research fields, including physics, materials science, chemistry, and biology. They are particularly useful for measuring weak signals in experiments involving spectroscopy, microscopy, and electrical impedance measurements.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a lock-in amplifier?

When selecting a lock-in amplifier, it is important to consider the frequency range, sensitivity, noise level, and other specifications to ensure it meets the needs of the specific research application. The number of input channels, data storage capabilities, and available software for data analysis should also be taken into account.