Research Topic for Science High School Freshman in Physics

In summary, a group of 15-year-olds is struggling to find a topic for their physics research paper on generators that run on renewable energy. They do not have a research advisor and are interested in exploring options such as hydropower, solar energy, wind power, and geothermal energy. One member is considering studying Dynamic Tidal Power but is not familiar with how these machines work. The main idea for any generator is to have it connected to something that turns it, such as a diesel engine or turbines. Dynamic tidal power is similar to a normal dam in using the tides to power the generators, but it is safer and more efficient. The focus of the project would be on explaining how these generators produce energy and addressing technical challenges in
Rod Alexei
I am having trouble creating new ideas for a physics research paper. My group has three members and we are all interested in generators that run on renewable energy. Unfortunately, we haven't found a topic yet, and the deadline is looming. We don't have a research adviser as well because to get one, we must present a proposal. Any advice or suggestions would really help. Thank you very much!
We are just a bunch of 15 year olds who aren't experts. I tried to read some journals but they all seem too advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rod Alexei said:
we are all interested in generators that run on renewable energy.

Well, there are several areas to choose from. Hydropower (dams), solar cells and other forms of solar energy, wind power, and geothermal are the main categories, but there are a few more. Other than solar cells, all the others here typically use a generator to create electricity. Were you specifically interested in generators?

Drakkith said:
Well, there are several areas to choose from. Hydropower (dams), solar cells and other forms of solar energy, wind power, and geothermal are the main categories, but there are a few more. Other than solar cells, all the others here typically use a generator to create electricity. Were you specifically interested in generators?
I was thinking of studying "Dynamic Tidal Power". I am currently reading papers about it right now. I don't really have a strong background in how these sorts of machines work but I am willing to try. Do you think this is a good topic for a novice?

You should be able to understand the basics without too much difficulty, but it's hard to say since I have no idea what this project will be like. The basic idea for anything involving a generator is that you have an electrical generator hooked up to something which turns it. A diesel generator uses a diesel engine to turn the generator which provides electricity. A generator at a hydropower plant is hooked up to turbines which are turned by flowing water. Dynamic tidal power uses the tides to power the generators in a similar manner to a normal dam. Do you understand the difference between a normal dam and one used in dynamic tidal power?

It is much safer than a normal barrage or dam and is more efficient.
Also the way they produce energy.

Rod Alexei said:
Also the way they produce energy.

That's the meat of your project, I'd guess. Explain how they produce energy and how this is unique.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0688...ve-produced-electricity-us-goes-online-hawaii
America's first wave-produced power goes online in Hawaii
"By some estimates, the ocean's endless motion packs enough power to meet a quarter of America's energy needs and dramatically reduce the nation's reliance on oil, gas and coal. But wave energy technology lags well behind wind and solar power, with important technical hurdles still to be overcome." Tackle some of those hurdles.

1. What is the importance of studying physics in high school?

Studying physics in high school is important as it helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a strong foundation for understanding the natural world and prepares students for future studies in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

2. What are some interesting research topics for high school freshmen in physics?

Some interesting research topics for high school freshmen in physics could include investigating the motion of objects, studying the properties of electricity and magnetism, or exploring the behavior of light and sound waves.

3. How can high school freshmen conduct research in physics?

High school freshmen can conduct research in physics by first choosing a specific topic or question to investigate. They can then gather information through experiments, observations, and reading scientific literature. Collaborating with a mentor or teacher can also be helpful in designing and conducting experiments.

4. What skills can high school freshmen develop through research in physics?

Research in physics can help high school freshmen develop skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, and scientific communication. They can also learn how to design and carry out experiments, as well as how to interpret and present their findings.

5. How can research in physics benefit society?

Research in physics can benefit society in many ways. It can lead to the development of new technologies and materials, improve our understanding of the natural world, and help solve real-world problems. For example, research in physics has contributed to the development of renewable energy sources, medical imaging techniques, and advanced materials for construction and transportation.