Researching AN Ursae Majoris B for Supernova Possibilities

In summary, the conversation is discussing potential white dwarf candidates for a supernova event in our galactic neighborhood. The first candidate mentioned is IK Pegasi B, but the speaker asks if there are any other white dwarfs being considered. Another person suggests AN Ursae Majoris B, a polar white dwarf about 124 light years away, but there are no links or references to support this suggestion. The conversation then turns to questioning the validity of AN Ursae Majoris B as a potential supernova candidate due to its mass being below the Chandrasekhar Limit. The speaker expresses frustration with the ongoing discussion of potential supernova candidates.
K. Doc Holiday
I have read that IK Pegasi B is the white dwarf most likely to supernova in our galactic neighborhood. Are any other white dwarfs under consideration?

My vote goes to AN Ursae Majoris B. (a polar white dwarf about 124 light years away, I think)

Has this star ever been considered by anyone, anywhere?

Thanks again to all you geeks and nerds who are naturally good at research. I mean that in the best way. [emoji293][emoji106][emoji291]

Astronomy news on Phys.org
K. Doc Holiday said:
My vote goes to AN Ursae Majoris B. (a polar white dwarf about 124 light years away, I think)

Any links to this I can't find any reference to AN Ursae Majoris B

There are to AN Ursae Majoris or to 47 Ursae Majoris B, but not to your reference

info on AN Ursae Majoris is behind a paywallDave

Do you have any reason you might think this is a SN candidate? In particular, given that there are zero polars with combined masses even close to the Chandrasekhar Limit, why do you think this one is beyond it?

This game of "I pick a random star in the sky and you guys tell me why it can't supernova" will get very old, very quickly.

1. What is AN Ursae Majoris B?

AN Ursae Majoris B (AN UMa B) is a star located in the constellation Ursa Major. It is a binary star system, meaning it consists of two stars orbiting around each other.

2. Why are scientists researching AN Ursae Majoris B for supernova possibilities?

Scientists are interested in studying AN UMa B because it is a Type Ia supernova candidate. This means that it has the potential to explode in a thermonuclear supernova, which can provide valuable insights into the processes and evolution of stars.

3. How are scientists researching AN Ursae Majoris B?

Scientists are using various observational techniques to study AN UMa B, such as spectroscopy, photometry, and imaging. They are also analyzing data from previous observations and simulations to understand the star's properties and behavior.

4. What are the potential implications of AN Ursae Majoris B becoming a supernova?

If AN UMa B were to become a supernova, it could provide crucial information about the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the production of heavy elements in the universe. It could also have an impact on nearby celestial bodies and potentially affect the habitability of any planets orbiting the star.

5. What are the next steps in researching AN Ursae Majoris B for supernova possibilities?

The next steps in researching AN UMa B involve continued observations and data analysis to better understand the star's properties and behavior. Scientists will also use theoretical models and simulations to predict the star's future evolution and the likelihood of it becoming a supernova. Further studies and collaborations with other researchers will also contribute to our understanding of AN UMa B and its potential for a supernova explosion.