Residue Theorem Applied to Calculating ψ(k,t)

In summary, the author is using the residue theorem to calculate the integral of a function around a closed curve by finding the sum of the residues at the poles of the function inside the curve. The residue at a pole can be found by taking the ratio of the function at the pole to the derivative of the function with respect to the variable in the denominator. The negative sign in the original equation may be due to the direction of the contour.
jollage
I have a doubt on this following procedure using the residue theorem:
Initially we have
ψ(k,t)=[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{L_{\omega}}\frac{S(k,\omega)}{D(k,\omega)}e^{-i\omega t}d\omega[/itex]
Then the author said using the residue theorem, we have
ψ(k,t)=[itex]-iƩ_{j}\frac{S(k,\omega_j(k))}{\partial D/ \partial \omega (k,\omega_j(k))}e^{-i\omega_j(k) t}[/itex]
where [itex]S(k,\omega_j(k)), D(k,\omega_j(k))[/itex] are functions relating [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex].
What kind of residue theorem is the author using?
Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "residue theorem" the author is using, the only one I know, is
"The integral of f(z) around a closed curve is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the sum of the residues at the poles of f inside the curve."

HallsofIvy said:
The "residue theorem" the author is using, the only one I know, is
"The integral of f(z) around a closed curve is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] times the sum of the residues at the poles of f inside the curve."

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I know residue theorem. I just can't relate the usage the author has displayed to the canonical form, like I found in Wiki or what you have said.

To be more specific, could you tell me how did you get the partial derivative of D w.r.t. ω in the denominator?

A pole occurs where [itex]D(k,\omega) = 0[/itex], at which point [itex]\omega = \omega_j(k)[/itex]. Locally the Taylor series for D is (for fixed k):
[tex]
D(k,\omega) = (\omega - \omega_j(k))\frac{\partial D}{\partial \omega}(k,\omega_j(k)) + \dots[/tex]
Thus close to [itex]\omega = \omega_j(k)[/itex] (assuming [itex]S(k,\omega_j(k)) \neq 0[/itex]) the integrand is approximately
[tex]
\frac{S(k,\omega_j(k))}{(\omega - \omega_j(k))\frac{\partial D}{\partial \omega}(k,\omega_j(k))}e^{-i\omega_j(k)t}
[/tex]
so the residue is
[tex]
\frac{S(k,\omega_j(k))}{\frac{\partial D}{\partial \omega}(k,\omega_j(k))}e^{-i\omega_j(k)t}.
[/tex]

I don't know where the minus sign in the original comes from; presumably the contour is being traversed clockwise instead of anticlockwise.

jollage said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I know residue theorem. I just can't relate the usage the author has displayed to the canonical form, like I found in Wiki or what you have said.

To be more specific, could you tell me how did you get the partial derivative of D w.r.t. ω in the denominator?
Suppose the function you are integrating has a simple pole at ##z_0##. If the function being integrated can be written in the form ##\frac{p(z)}{q(z)}##, with ##q(z_0)=0## and ##q'(z_0)\neq 0##, then its residue at the point ##z_0## is given by ##\frac{p(z_0)}{q'(z_0)}##.

pasmith said:
A pole occurs where [itex]D(k,\omega) = 0[/itex], at which point [itex]\omega = \omega_j(k)[/itex]. Locally the Taylor series for D is (for fixed k):
[tex]
D(k,\omega) = (\omega - \omega_j(k))\frac{\partial D}{\partial \omega}(k,\omega_j(k)) + \dots[/tex]
Thus close to [itex]\omega = \omega_j(k)[/itex] (assuming [itex]S(k,\omega_j(k)) \neq 0[/itex]) the integrand is approximately
[tex]
\frac{S(k,\omega_j(k))}{(\omega - \omega_j(k))\frac{\partial D}{\partial \omega}(k,\omega_j(k))}e^{-i\omega_j(k)t}
[/tex]
so the residue is
[tex]
\frac{S(k,\omega_j(k))}{\frac{\partial D}{\partial \omega}(k,\omega_j(k))}e^{-i\omega_j(k)t}.
[/tex]

I don't know where the minus sign in the original comes from; presumably the contour is being traversed clockwise instead of anticlockwise.

Thanks a lot, what you said makes sense.

Related to Residue Theorem Applied to Calculating ψ(k,t)

1. What is the residue theorem and how is it applied to calculating ψ(k,t)?

The residue theorem is a powerful mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate certain types of integrals. It states that the value of an integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the curve. In the context of calculating ψ(k,t), the residue theorem can be used to simplify the integral of the wave function over all space, making it easier to calculate.

2. Why is the residue theorem useful in calculating ψ(k,t)?

The wave function, ψ(k,t), is a complex-valued function that describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its position and time. It is often difficult to calculate this function directly, but the residue theorem provides a shortcut by allowing us to evaluate the integral of ψ(k,t) using only the residues of the function. This makes the calculation more efficient and manageable.

3. What are the steps involved in applying the residue theorem to calculate ψ(k,t)?

First, we need to identify the poles of the function ψ(k,t) inside the closed curve. These poles are the points where the function becomes infinite or undefined. Next, we evaluate the residues at these poles. Finally, we use the residue theorem to calculate the integral of ψ(k,t) by summing the residues of the function inside the curve.

4. Are there any limitations to using the residue theorem in calculating ψ(k,t)?

While the residue theorem is a powerful tool, it is not always applicable to all types of integrals. In order for the theorem to be used, the function must have poles inside the closed curve and the integral must be over a closed path. Additionally, the function must be analytic, meaning it is differentiable and has a power series representation.

5. Can the residue theorem be used in other areas of physics or mathematics?

Yes, the residue theorem has applications in various areas of physics and mathematics, including complex analysis, number theory, and signal processing. It is also commonly used in the study of quantum mechanics, where it can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a given state. Additionally, the residue theorem has applications in engineering, particularly in the design of filters for signal processing and control systems.