Resistance and magnetic field effects for p-doped Ge

In summary, the professor found a quadratic trend in the way that the magneto-resistance changed with the magnetic field. However, if you fit the data using the function that the professor wrote, you will not find the mobility that was measured with the usual method.
MementoMori96
Hi, we have done an experiment where we have to measure the resistance of a sample of Ge doping-p and how it changes due to a magnetic field perpendicular to the sample with a costant current.
We have found that R(B) has a quadratic trend (we have fit the dates with y = a[1+b*B^2] with a and b free parameters) . Is there a theory that can explain this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but how? I’m not able to find the fit theorically

The current in a material is affected via the magnetic field and can be equated to a resistance... it isn't an easy calculation but is doable.

Thanks ! Have you any books or web pages in which i can deepen this topic?

Look for a book on the Hall effect or on a text about Boltzmann transport theory

No, not a simple function, exactly what I said previously. Yes, you are on the right track, magneto-resistance is what you measured and are calculating.

Hi, this doubt is born because my professor has found this quadratic trend in this way (see the image)

But if we fit the dates with the function that i have written before we will not find the mobility that we have measure with the usual method but mobility/2. Why?

Attachments

• 5CDCF244-E397-4DA6-9952-A816CE80E2D5.jpeg
    5CDCF244-E397-4DA6-9952-A816CE80E2D5.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 492
MementoMori96 said:
Hi, this doubt is born because my professor has found this quadratic trend in this way (see the image)

But if we fit the dates with the function that i have written before we will not find the mobility that we have measure with the usual method but mobility/2. Why?

Anyone ?

What is p-doped Ge?

p-doped Ge refers to germanium (Ge) that has been intentionally doped, or infused with impurities, in order to create a material with a higher concentration of positive charge carriers (holes) than negative charge carriers (electrons).

What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how easily electricity can flow through a material. It is the opposition to the flow of electrical current, and is measured in ohms (Ω).

How does p-doped Ge exhibit resistance?

Due to the presence of a higher concentration of positive charge carriers, p-doped Ge will have a lower resistance compared to undoped Ge. This is because the positive charge carriers help to facilitate the flow of electricity through the material.

What is the magnetic field effect for p-doped Ge?

The magnetic field effect for p-doped Ge refers to the change in its electrical properties when a magnetic field is applied. Due to the movement of charge carriers in the presence of a magnetic field, p-doped Ge will exhibit a change in its electrical resistance.

How is the magnetic field effect utilized in p-doped Ge?

The magnetic field effect in p-doped Ge is often utilized in electronic devices, such as sensors and transistors. By controlling the magnetic field, the electrical resistance of the p-doped Ge material can be manipulated, allowing for precise control of the device's performance.