Resistivity tensor and Magnetoresistance

In summary, the resistivity and conductivity tensor of a 2D sample can be obtained by measuring the Hall voltage and current density for different values of the magnetic field and current density. The Hall Effect occurs when a current carrying metal bar is placed in a magnetic field, causing a voltage perpendicular to the current and magnetic field. The classical $$ B^2 $$ dependence of resistance is due to the Lorentz force experienced by moving charges in the metal bar. This effect is known as magnetoresistance and is commonly observed in materials with high carrier mobility.
Jan Hidding
Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to understand the resistivity and conductivity tensor of a 2D sample. If a current carrying metal bar is placed inside a magnetic field the Hall Effect comes into play. I tried to search for explanations on how to obtain the resistivity tensor of the metal bar in this configuration but I can seem to understand how it is obtained.

Secondly, I have read that there should be a classical $$ B^2 $$ dependence of the resistance of the sample but I also do not understand what is the origin.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Understanding the resistivity and conductivity tensor of a 2D sample can be a complex topic, but I'll try to break it down for you. The resistivity tensor is a mathematical representation of how a material responds to an electric field in different directions. It is a 3x3 matrix that relates the electric field and current density vectors. Similarly, the conductivity tensor is the inverse of the resistivity tensor and represents how a material conducts electricity in different directions.

In the case of a current carrying metal bar placed in a magnetic field, the Hall Effect comes into play. This effect occurs when a magnetic field is applied perpendicular to the direction of current flow in a conductor. The resulting electric field, known as the Hall field, causes a voltage perpendicular to both the current and magnetic field. This voltage is known as the Hall voltage and is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the current density.

To obtain the resistivity tensor in this configuration, you would need to measure the Hall voltage for different values of the magnetic field and current density. This data can then be used to calculate the components of the resistivity tensor. Similarly, the conductivity tensor can be obtained by measuring the current density for different values of the electric field.

As for the classical $$ B^2 $$ dependence of the resistance, this is due to the Lorentz force experienced by the moving charges in the metal bar. As the magnetic field increases, the Lorentz force also increases, leading to a higher resistance. This effect is known as magnetoresistance and is commonly observed in materials with a high carrier mobility, such as metals.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the resistivity tensor?

The resistivity tensor, also known as the conductivity tensor, is a mathematical representation of the electrical conductivity of a material. It describes how the electrical current in a material is affected by an applied electric field in different directions.

2. How is the resistivity tensor measured?

The resistivity tensor can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as four-point probe measurements or Hall effect measurements. These techniques involve applying an electric field and measuring the resulting current in different directions, allowing for the calculation of the resistivity tensor components.

3. What is magnetoresistance?

Magnetoresistance is the change in the electrical resistance of a material in the presence of a magnetic field. This phenomenon is observed in materials with varying resistivity in different crystallographic directions, such as metals and semiconductors.

4. How is magnetoresistance related to the resistivity tensor?

The magnetoresistance of a material is directly related to its resistivity tensor. In materials with an anisotropic resistivity tensor, the magnetoresistance can vary significantly depending on the direction of the magnetic field relative to the crystallographic axes.

5. What are the practical applications of the resistivity tensor and magnetoresistance?

The resistivity tensor and magnetoresistance are crucial in understanding the electrical properties of materials, particularly in the development of electronic devices such as transistors and sensors. They are also used in the study of magnetic materials and can provide valuable insights into their behavior and properties.