Resistance equivalence and circuit current

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the equivalent resistance of a circuit. Each current in the circuit, the potential difference across each resistor, and the power dissipated by each resistor are all discussed.
Robb

Homework Statement

a) find the equivalent resistance of the circuit below b) each current in the circuit c) the potential difference across each resistor d the power dissipated by each resistor.

upload_2016-3-13_17-43-6.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
R=(1/R)^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if I did the resistance equivalency correctly. I combined R2 and R6 in series and then combined R2, R3, and R5 as in parallel. I then treated R1, R2/3/5/6 and R4 as in series. Also, need help going back and finding the current. Please advise.

upload_2016-3-13_17-43-29.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
I combined R2 and R6 in series and then combined R2, R3, and R5 as in parallel. I then treated R1, R2/3/5/6 and R4 as in series.
That's not making sense to me...

Start at the outside (far right side), and start doing parallel and series combinations. Start with R4 and R5 and try again? :smile:

If the current can go to one resistor or another, but not both, then the resistors are not in series. See if you can redraw the circuit in a less-complicated looking manner by redrawing the diagonal portion to look more like a typical rectangular circuit.

Likes berkeman
I see R3(bottom right) and R5 being in parallel. If I combine those they would be in series with R2 (top right). Is that a good start?

Robb said:
I see R3(bottom right) and R5 being in parallel. If I combine those they would be in series with R2 (top right). Is that a good start?

Correct! Notice that R3 and R5 share both of their nodes. That's how you would spot that.

Likes berkeman
Ok. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill! I saw something online that showed R5(R2+R6)/R2+R5+R6. So, R2 and R6 are in series with each other but Parallel with R5. Do you agree? I Think that's what was throwing me for a loop. Wasn't sure which way to go with it.

No, R2 and R6 are not in series with each other as the circuit is written. Eventually, however, you'll find new series and parallel combinations as you continue to combine your resistors. Your parallel combination of R3 and R5 are in series with R2. What can you combine next?

So, combine R3 and R5 as in parallel. Then The sums R1R2 and R4R1, respectively, which puts them in series with R6. Combine the remaining as in series?

I struggle to read your hand writing but R3 and R5 in parallel looks correct. As far as I can see R1 and R2 are not in series so summing them appears incorrect.

As I see it the starting sequence should be

Step 1... (R3//R5)
Step 2... (R3//R5) + R2
Step 3... (R3//R5) + R2) // R6

where // means "in parallel with"

I agree with axmls, the original diagram makes my head hurt, and it should be redrawn.
I did it by pretending all the resistors were connected with rubber bands, disconnecting the negative end of the terminal, and stretching everything to the right.
Triple check that all the paths are correct.
Then add in a wire, blue, to complete the circuit.

2016.03.14.hw.problem.861942.jpg

This, visually, makes it much easier for me to see what's going on.

I agree. THANK YOU!

Robb said:
I agree. THANK YOU!
Please let us know what you get as an answer, as...

rubber.bandy.method.png

15.4 ohm's

Robb said:
15.4 ohm's
That's what I get.
:partytime:

Graicas my friend!

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
I agree with axmls, the original diagram makes my head hurt, and it should be redrawn.
I did it by pretending all the resistors were connected with rubber bands, ...
Conductive rubber, I hope !

Likes OmCheeto

Related to Resistance equivalence and circuit current

What is resistance equivalence?

Resistance equivalence refers to the concept of combining multiple resistors in a circuit in such a way that they behave as a single resistor with a specific value. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the overall resistance in a circuit.

How do you calculate resistance equivalence?

The resistance equivalence of resistors in series can be calculated by simply adding their individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, the formula is the inverse of the sum of the inverses of each resistor's resistance. In more complex circuits, the use of equivalent resistance formulas and Kirchhoff's laws may be necessary.

What is circuit current?

Circuit current, also known as electric current, is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is affected by the voltage and resistance in the circuit.

How is circuit current related to resistance equivalence?

According to Ohm's Law, the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. Therefore, as the resistance equivalence changes in a circuit, the current will also change. For example, if the resistance equivalence decreases, the current will increase.

Why is it important to understand resistance equivalence and circuit current?

Understanding resistance equivalence and circuit current is crucial in order to properly design and analyze circuits. It allows for the prediction and control of current flow, which is essential in the functioning of electronic devices. Additionally, this knowledge is important in ensuring the safety and efficiency of electrical systems.