Resistive force exerted on a sphere (air resistance)

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for resistive force and determining terminal velocity using that formula. The formula is corrected and the question of how to calculate the terminal velocity of a raindrop with a given radius is posed. The conversation also includes an attempt to solve the problem by equating the first term to 1% of the weight and solving for radius, but it is determined to be incorrect.
alejo ortega
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
The following expression gives the resistive force exerted on a
sphere of radius r moving at speed v through air. It is valid over a
very wide range of speeds.
Rc= 3.1× 10-4rv + 0.87r2v2
where R is in N, r in m, and v in m/s. Consider water drops falling under their own weight and reaching a terminal speed.
(a) For what range of values of small r is the terminal speed
determined within 1% by the first term alone in the expression for
R(v)?
(b) For what range of values of Iarger r is the terminal speed
determined within 1% by the second term alone?
(c) Calculate the terminal speed of a raindrop of radius 2 mm. If there were no air resistance, from what height would it fail from rest before reaching this speed?
Relevant Equations
i don´t understand the question
i don´t understand the question

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let's start by typesetting that equation and using some guesswork to fix the typos:$$R(v) = 3.1 \times 10^{-4}rv + 0.87r^2v^2$$Now you need to bring something to the table. Show us some effort. How would we determine terminal speed given this formula for resistive force? (i.e. "Calculate the terminal speed of a raindrop of radius 2 mm").

jbriggs444 said:
Well, let's start by typesetting that equation and using some guesswork to fix the typos:$$R(v) = 3.1 \times 10^{-4}rv + 0.87r^2v^2$$Now you need to bring something to the table. Show us some effort. How would we determine terminal speed given this formula for resistive force? (i.e. "Calculate the terminal speed of a raindrop of radius 2 mm").
And with a few more corrections:
$$R(v) = 3.1 \times 10^{-4}rv ~\rm{Ns/m^2}+ 0.87\it r^2v^2 ~\rm{Ns^2/m^4}$$

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
And with a few more corrections:
$$R(v) = 3.1 \times 10^{-4}rv ~\rm{Ns/m^2}+ 0.87\it r^2v^2 ~\rm{Ns^2/m^4}$$
ok ,
jbriggs444 said:
hello haruspex, this is a cuadratic ecuation

alejo ortega said:
ok ,

considering that if v is the terminal velocity, the resistive force is equal to weight

alejo ortega said:
considering that if v is the terminal velocity, the resistive force is equal to weight
I equaled the first term to 1% of mg
3.1× 10-4rv = mg/100
and solve to r :
r= (10^2) mg/3,1v

alejo ortega said:
ok ,

alejo ortega said:
3.1× 10-4rv = mg/100
and solve to r :
r= (10^2) mg/3,1v
but i believe that this proceeding its wrong :(

alejo ortega said:
No, that’s a misunderstanding of the given information.
It is telling you that the first term gives you at least 99% of the value, with the quadratic term only contributing 1%.

1. What is resistive force exerted on a sphere?

The resistive force exerted on a sphere, also known as air resistance, is the force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the sphere as it moves through a fluid (such as air).

2. How is the resistive force calculated?

The resistive force on a sphere is calculated using the equation F = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * A * Cd, where F is the resistive force, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the sphere, A is the cross-sectional area of the sphere, and Cd is the drag coefficient of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the resistive force on a sphere?

The resistive force on a sphere is affected by the density of the fluid, the velocity of the sphere, the cross-sectional area of the sphere, and the drag coefficient of the sphere. Other factors such as the shape and surface roughness of the sphere can also have an impact.

4. How does the resistive force on a sphere change with velocity?

The resistive force on a sphere increases with the velocity of the sphere. This is because as the sphere moves faster through the fluid, it experiences more collisions with molecules of the fluid, resulting in a greater resistive force.

5. Can the resistive force on a sphere be reduced?

Yes, the resistive force on a sphere can be reduced by changing the shape or surface texture of the sphere, or by altering the properties of the fluid it is moving through. Other methods such as using a streamlined shape or adding a coating to the sphere can also help to reduce the resistive force.