Resistors Used in College Electrical Circuits Labs - Any Suggestions?

In summary, a student is taking an intro electrical circuits course and has completed a lab on calculating resistance. They are writing a short explanation about resistance and are wondering what type of resistor is commonly used in college labs. Suggestions point to carbon film resistors, but the body color may not necessarily determine the type. On older resistors, the body color was used to indicate the value.
jcoona
resistor-sample.JPG

I am taking an intro electrical circuits course which requires that I write extensive lab reports. I just completed a really simple lab about calculating resistance when configured in series and parallel, etc.

In my intro I'm writing a short explanation about resistance, and resistors, and such. For resistors used in a common college lab course, does anyone have an idea what exact "type" of resistor they might be?

I.E http://www.resistorguide.com/materials/ here are a couple examples of what I mean...I figure they might be one of the film types but I am not sure.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably carbon composition resistors.

EDIT: ... oh, wait ... that shape makes it more likely they are carbon film resistors.

Thank you! I thought so also...based on the tan shell, but I didn't know if shell color was the defining characteristic. Thank you!

I don't think you can rely on the body colour to mean anything although metal film seem to be mostly blue and carbon film are mostly tan/beige.

One or two web sites claim...

blue body = fusible resistor
white body = non-flammable

Would be nice to find confirmation of that.

On very old resistors the body colour was part of the value marking scheme...

Body colour = 1st digit
End colour = 2nd digit
Dot colour = Multiplier

What are resistors and why are they used in college electrical circuits labs?

Resistors are electrical components that are used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. They are used in college electrical circuits labs to control the amount of current in a circuit and to protect other components from being damaged by excessive current.

What are the different types of resistors commonly used in college electrical circuits labs?

The two most common types of resistors used in college electrical circuits labs are fixed resistors and variable resistors. Fixed resistors have a set resistance value and are used in circuits where a specific amount of resistance is needed. Variable resistors, also known as potentiometers, have an adjustable resistance and are used to vary the amount of resistance in a circuit.

How do I choose the right resistor for my college electrical circuits lab experiment?

The resistance value of a resistor is measured in ohms and can be determined by the color bands on the resistor. You can use a resistor color code chart to identify the resistance value. It is important to choose a resistor with the correct resistance value that can handle the amount of current in your circuit.

Can I connect resistors in series or parallel in my college electrical circuits lab?

Yes, resistors can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. When connected in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. When connected in parallel, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

How do I test a resistor in my college electrical circuits lab?

You can test a resistor using a multimeter, which measures the resistance of a component. By connecting the multimeter leads to the two ends of the resistor, you can determine the resistance value. You can also use an ohmmeter, which is a specialized device for measuring resistance.