Resolving Forces: Logic & Effects

In summary, people seem to resolve a perpendicular force into two component forces, one of which is parallel to the inclined plane and the other perpendicular to the inclined plane. The x-components of the two component forces cancel each other out, so the force is never actually present.
Yh Hoo
I have been thinking about the logic of resolution of a main force into its component forces. Up to my stage i have just come across with the 2-dimension force which take x-axis and y-axis as their basis. So if they take y and x-axis as the basis for the components of a single force, supposedly a force that acts perpendicularly to the horizontal x-axis or vertical y-axis should have no vertical components or horizontal components respectively.
Yet, while explaining the objects on an inclined plane with only its vertically downwards gravitational force(weight), people tends to resolve the only force which acts perpendicularly to the x-axis into 2 component forces, one of which acts parallel to the inclined plane while the other acts perpendicular to the inclined plane.Note that if we again resolve the 2 forces above into x-components and y-components, we find that these 2 forces have their x-components opposing each other and consequently cancel out ache other! it seems like logically these x-components originally are NOT EXISTED ! instead , we resolve them out and meanwhile they impart effects on the object as Action ! Mathematically, let's say we have a quantity 5. We say
5 = 10 - 5 , note that the quantity is never existed let's alone imparting any effects on the surrounding! the things we have now is only The 5! That's it. But why can we resolve in this way?? Maybe there is some misconception . Or is it because the force is actually an INTERACTION with the surrounding objects that will dependently affects the other objects in contact?? If it is true, meaning the force can be resolved in infinite ways as in figure 3. could somebody explain clearly for me?? Thanks you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
10=5+5 or 1+9 or 15-5 or 1+2+2+5 or 1+2+2+3+2 ...
Or 10=1+9=1+(6+3)
Likewise any vector can be resolved to any number of vectors.
Or a vector can be the sum of any number of vectors.

This thread deals with just the same question and it may be best to confine the discussion in just one thread or someone could miss some of the contributions.

Yes sir. Sorry because i faced problem in uploading photo as attachment. So there is a need for me to create another thread.:smile:

Ah, I see.
It's not too difficult to do that (on my browser, at least)
Just go to the 'advanced' option for a reply.
Perhaps it's a test of your 'resolution'? :biggrin:

Related to Resolving Forces: Logic & Effects

1. What is the concept of resolving forces?

The concept of resolving forces is a technique used in physics and engineering to break down a complex force into its component parts. This allows for a better understanding of the overall forces acting on an object and their effects.

2. Why is resolving forces important?

Resolving forces is important because it allows scientists and engineers to analyze and predict the motion of objects in more complex systems. By breaking down forces into their component parts, it becomes easier to understand the effects of each individual force and how they contribute to the overall motion of an object.

3. How do you resolve forces?

To resolve forces, you must first identify all the forces acting on an object. Then, using trigonometric principles, you can break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components. Finally, you can use equations and vector analysis to determine the net force and its direction.

4. What are the benefits of resolving forces?

Resolving forces allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the forces acting on an object. This can help in designing structures and predicting the motion of objects in complex systems. It also helps in understanding the balance and stability of an object and can aid in identifying potential weaknesses in a structure.

5. Can you resolve non-parallel forces?

Yes, non-parallel forces can also be resolved by breaking them down into their horizontal and vertical components. This can be done using the parallelogram law of vector addition or by using trigonometric principles. However, the calculations may be more complex and time-consuming compared to resolving parallel forces.