Resolving reactant forces on supported beams.

In summary, the questions ask if a 200N force at 1.9m will act the same as a 120N force at 2m from the left and right hand edges of a uniform plank of weight 120N. The book states that the force acting on stool A is 48N and the force acting on stool B is 72N.
Adrian Haddock
The questions States.

A uniform plank of weight 120N rests on two stools. a weight of 80N is placed on the plank, midway between the stools calculate

A) the force acting on stool A
B) the force acting on stool B
(Cant add a picture for some reason.)

Plank over length = 4.0m
from left hand edge to stool A = 0.5m
from right hand edge to stool B = 1.0m

The answers in the book state
A)48N
b)72N

I know the plank is in equilibrium so Σ M = 0 and Σ F = 0
I know a moment is F * d

My attempt.
I calculated the centre of mass via moments from the left hand side.

as in (m1*d1 + m2*d2)/m1+m2

so distance of the 80N mass is 1.75m
centre of the uniform plank is 120N at 2m.

put those into the above sum i get the effective centre to be at 1.9m. I think i can say this system is the same as a 200N force acting at 1.9m.

Is this correct?
Do I need to work out fro the over hangs?

The answers i get are Ra = 112N and Rb = 88N

by taking a 200N force acting at 1.9m and taking Moments about stool A...

Physics news on Phys.org
Adrian Haddock said:
The answers i get are Ra = 112N and Rb = 88N
Not the other way around?

Yes, quite right. Ra=88N and Rb = 112N

Adrian Haddock said:
Yes, quite right. Ra=88N and Rb = 112N
Looks good.
I would not have bothered finding the mass centre. Simpler just to take moments of all the components separately.

I did that also, got the same answers.

If someone else agrees with me, I'll put the answers in the book down to an editting mishap and move on worth my life, same I can't put the hair I pulled out back into my head.

Thank you for your help.

1. What are reactant forces on supported beams?

Reactant forces on supported beams refer to the forces that are generated at the points where the beam is supported, such as at the ends or at intermediate supports. These forces are typically caused by the weight of the beam and the loads placed on it.

2. Why is it important to resolve reactant forces on supported beams?

Resolving reactant forces on supported beams is important because it allows for a more accurate analysis of the structural integrity of the beam. By determining the magnitude and direction of these forces, engineers can ensure that the beam is strong enough to support the expected loads without failure.

3. How are reactant forces resolved on supported beams?

Reactant forces can be resolved using mathematical equations and principles of statics, such as the equations of equilibrium. These equations can help determine the unknown forces and moments acting on the beam and allow for the resolution of reactant forces.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of reactant forces on supported beams?

The magnitude of reactant forces on supported beams can be affected by a variety of factors, including the weight of the beam itself, the type and amount of loads placed on the beam, the type of support used, and the overall geometry of the beam and its supports.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when resolving reactant forces on supported beams?

Yes, there are limitations and assumptions when resolving reactant forces on supported beams. These include assuming that the beam is in a state of static equilibrium, neglecting any material deformations, and assuming that the supports are rigid and do not move. Additionally, these calculations may not take into account factors such as vibrations or dynamic loading on the beam.