Resonance state - Alternating current

In summary, resonance in alternating current occurs when the total complex impedance of the circuit has only real part, meaning the imaginary part is zero. This results in the current being in phase with the voltage source, except in cases where the real part is also zero. The specific conditions for resonance depend on the circuit configuration and the components involved. For series connections, resonance occurs when the voltage across the inductor and capacitor cancel each other out, while for parallel connections, resonance occurs when the total current is zero. If there is resistance in the circuit, the resonance state may differ.
Guillem_dlc
TL;DR Summary
Resonance state in alternating current
In alternating current, is the resonance state that the phase angle of the current is 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
In alternating current, is the resonance state that the phase angle of the current is 0?
If the resonance is of an LC circuit, then the energy is circulating between the electric field of the capacitor, (E = ½ C V²), and the magnetic field in the inductor, (E = ½ L I²). The current in the resonant circuit will therefore be 90° out of phase with the voltage across the resonant circuit.

Baluncore said:
If the resonance is of an LC circuit, then the energy is circulating between the electric field of the capacitor, (E = ½ C V²), and the magnetic field in the inductor, (E = ½ L I²). The current in the resonant circuit will therefore be 90° out of phase with the voltage across the resonant circuit.
Then is ##\dfrac{\pi}{2}##, right?

That is a possible approximation to "90° out of phase".
But is the phase of the current to the voltage +90° or -90° ?
The answer will depend on the actual question, and I am still not sure what the resonator really is, how polarity is defined, and how the resonator is driven.

Likes Guillem_dlc
Which resonance do you mean? Amplitude resonance or energy resonance? For an undamped oscillator you have rather a "resonance catastrophe". Take a pure LC series. Then you have
$$LC \ddot{u} + u=U_0 \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega t).$$
Here ##u## is the "voltage" across the capacitor, and of course only the real part is the physical ##u##.

It's clear that the eigenfrequence is ##\omega_0=1/(LC)##, and if ##\omega \neq \omega_0## you can make the ansatz ##u=u_0 \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega t)## to solve the in-homogeneous equation since then you simply get
$$u_0 (1-L C \omega^2)=U_0 \; \Rightarrow \; u_0 = \frac{U_0}{1-\omega^2/\omega_0^2} = \frac{U_0 \omega_0^2}{\omega_0^2-\omega^2},$$
which diverges for ##\omega=\omega_0##.

For ##\omega=\omega_0## you get as a particular solution for the inhomogeneous equation
$$u(t)=\frac{\omega_0 t}{2 \mathrm{i}} U_0 \exp(\mathrm{i} \omega_0 t),$$
which goes to ##\infty## for ##t \rightarrow \infty##. That's the said "resonance catastrophe".

Likes Delta2
If the circuit has some ohmic resistance yes in the resonance state the current is in phase with the voltage that is applied in the circuit. That is because by definition of resonance, the total complex impedance of a circuit in resonance has only real part and imaginary part zero, hence the phase angle defined as $$\phi=\arctan \frac {Im(Z)}{Re(Z)}=\arctan \frac {0}{Re(Z)}=\arctan 0=0$$
The case where Re(Z)=0 and Im(Z)=0 (like in a pure LC circuit) leads to the undetermined ##\phi=\arctan \frac{0}{0}##. I believe post #5 explains very well what happens in this case.

Likes DaveE and tech99
Guillem_dlc said:
Summary: Resonance state in alternating current

"In alternating current" is not enough to specify the conditions. There is no general rule for all possible AC circuits.You need to focus on a specific circuit configuration and then you can look at the resonance.

nasu said:
"In alternating current" is not enough to specify the conditions. There is no general rule for all possible AC circuits.You need to focus on a specific circuit configuration and then you can look at the resonance.
I think for a "random" AC circuit made of components R,L,C resonance is defined as the condition where the total complex impedance of the circuit has only real part. With this definition it is true then that the total current is in phase with the voltage source.

EDIT: Except in the case where also the real part is zero...

Except for these cases when it si not.

Likes Delta2
If the L, C and generator are connected in series, then first of all consider a known current, such as 1 Amp, through the circuit. The voltage across the L will lead this current by 90 deg and the voltage across the C will lag the current by 90 deg. As the two voltages are in series and out of phase, they subtract from each other. The generator finds itself working into a load which is reactive (voltage 90 deg to the current) and has smaller impedance than either L or C, so it can produce 1 Amp with a smaller voltage. At resonance, when Xc is numerically equal to Lc, the 1 Amp current develops zero voltage across the LC circuit.

Now connect L, C and the generator in parallel, and consider a known voltage, such as 1 Volt across all three items. Now the current in L will lag the voltage by 90 deg and current in C will lead the voltage by 90 deg. The total current will be reactive (voltage 90 deg to the current) and is the difference between these two. At resonance, Xl is numerically equal to Xc, so the current drawn from the 1 volt generator is zero. The generator is seeing an impedance which is infinitely high.

If there is resistance in the circuit, then for the series connection the generator sees only this resistance at resonance, and for the parallel connection it sees a very high resistance, being a magnified version of the actual resistance. So for both cases, at resonance the load seen by the generator is resistive and has zero degrees phase angle between V and I.
[For accuracy I need to mention that for very low Q operation, for a parallel circuit where all the R is in the inductor, zero phase angle and max impedance do not quite coincide].

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Except at the resonant frequency where it will be in phase. Really, for a theoretically losses circuit, as you sweep the frequency, it will instantly switch from +90o to -90o*, and undefined right at the resonance frequency with 0 or ∞ amplitude. Of course in the real world this can't happen, it will smoothly switch from +90o to -90o*.
Here's an example:
LCR2a_plot.jpg

* edit - or from -90o to +90o for the other type.

DaveE said:
Except at the resonant frequency where it will be in phase.
I am sorry, but I think you are looking at the drive to the resonator, not the much greater circulating energy stored within the resonator.

If you look at a parallel LC resonator, with no external connections, stored energy circulates between L and C. The current through the inductor must be in quadrature with the inductor voltage. Obviously, the same holds for the parallel capacitor. V=L·di/dt necessitates quadrature, as does the integral of charge in the capacitor. At resonance, those two equations work together in quadrature.

If the resonator was to be driven by an energy source at the resonant frequency, the drive current to the resonator would be in phase with the drive voltage. But that drive is not part of the resonator. It simply makes up for energy lost in the resistance of the resonator. For drive at frequencies away from resonance, the phase of the drive current will approach quadrature with the drive voltage.

@Baluncore I think the OP implies that there is external drive to the circuit. We usually talk about the phase of the current with respect to the drive voltage and not with respect to the individual voltages in the capacitors or inductors of the circuit.

@Delta2 We can all guess at what the OP might have been thinking.
There are several possibilities.
I am simply explaining why there are multiple answers.

Baluncore said:
@Delta2 We can all guess at what the OP might have been thinking.
There are several possibilities.
I am simply explaining why there are multiple answers.
In my opinion you answers regarding what's happening in a self resonating LC circuit is slightly off topic. But ok that is just my opinion :D.

Delta2 said:
In my opinion you answers regarding what's happening in a self resonating LC circuit is slightly off topic.
Likewise, I consider your focus on the missing drive circuit to be off topic, but so long as we acknowledge our different viewpoints, we have no disagreement, just a poorly written, incomplete question.

Likes Delta2
Baluncore said:
I am sorry, but I think you are looking at the drive to the resonator, not the much greater circulating energy stored within the resonator.

If you look at a parallel LC resonator, with no external connections, stored energy circulates between L and C. The current through the inductor must be in quadrature with the inductor voltage. Obviously, the same holds for the parallel capacitor. V=L·di/dt necessitates quadrature, as does the integral of charge in the capacitor. At resonance, those two equations work together in quadrature.

If the resonator was to be driven by an energy source at the resonant frequency, the drive current to the resonator would be in phase with the drive voltage. But that drive is not part of the resonator. It simply makes up for energy lost in the resistance of the resonator. For drive at frequencies away from resonance, the phase of the drive current will approach quadrature with the drive voltage.
Don't be sorry, I totally agree with you. If you restrict the analysis to the natural (transient) response for an undriven resonator with non-zero ICs, you are correct. But that isn't a common interpretation of the "phase shift" question IMO.

Guillem_dlc said:
Summary: Resonance state in alternating current

In an undriven series resonant circuit there is only one current, you must assume some external reference for the phase question to make sense. Because the only internal variables to reference are the voltages of the components, which is a trivial question; i.e. "what is the phase shift between the capacitor voltage and its current?"

In an undriven parallel resonant circuit (with losses), there are three currents (two independent currents) and a single common voltage. In that case you are correct, but again, the phase shift question for currents is trivial. They share a common voltage so it is almost the same; i.e. "what is the phase shift between the capacitor current and the inductor current when they have the same voltage across them?" It is also poorly phrased for the parallel case since they didn't think it important to specify which current.

This sort of question is rarely raised unless there is a driving source so it can either make sense or be non-trivial. I think the rest of us may have been guilty of answering the more interesting and common interpretation here.

Finally, the last few post are a clear illustration of why I think all EE questions should include a schematic. But, we all know that's not likely to happen.

• Love
Likes Delta2
Baluncore said:
For drive at frequencies away from resonance, the phase of the drive current will approach quadrature with the drive voltage.
You mean kind of like in the graph I posted?

DaveE said:
You mean kind of like in the graph I posted?
Yes. You are looking at the drive to a resonator.
Off-frequency, the resonator will appear to be reactive, and so will be circulating energy between the driver and the resonator.
At resonance, the resonator will appear to be resistive, so energy will flow only towards the resonator, to satisfy the internal real resistive losses.

Okay, I get it.

The exercise in question was as follows: an ac generator of emf ##\varepsilon (t)=150\cos (2\pi ft)##, feeds a series RLC circuit with ##R=40\, \Omega##, ##L=50\, \textrm{mH}## and ##C=50\, \mu \textrm{F}##. Determine at what frequency ##f## the generator will have to work at for the circuit to be at resonance.

Ressonance ##\rightarrow X_L=X_C##
$$L\omega =\dfrac{1}{C\omega}$$
$$\omega =\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}\rightarrow f=\dfrac{\omega}{2\pi}=\dfrac{1}{2\pi \sqrt{LC}}=100\, \textrm{Hz}$$

Likes DaveE
XL cannot equal XC, since XC is negative.
The condition for resonance is; XL + XC = 0 ;

Baluncore said:
XL cannot equal XC, since XC is negative.
The condition for resonance is; XL + XC = 0 ;
Thanks!

For the un-driven oscillator we have
$$u(t)=u_0 \cos(\omega_0 t) + \frac{i_0}{\omega_0 C} \sin(\omega_0 t)$$
and
$$i(t)=C \dot{u}(t) = -C u_0 \omega \sin(\omega_0 t) + i_0 \cos(\omega_0 t)= C u_0 \cos(\omega_0 t-\pi/2) + i_0 \sin(\omega_0 t-\pi/2),$$
i.e., the current is a phase of ##\pi/2## behind the phase of the voltage on the capacitor.

That's intuitive, because suppose in the beginning there's no current and the capacitor at a voltage ##u_0##. When closing the switch the current needs time to be built up against the inductance of the coil, because the magnetic field building up in the coil is such as to hindering this current to build up ("Lenz's rule"). So it takes time for the current to get its maximum value, and thus the current is behind the voltage on the capacitor. The calculation shows it's behind by a quarter of the period, corresponding to the phase shift ##(-\pi/2)##.

Okay, okay, I understand.

Thank you all very much!

What is a resonance state?

A resonance state is a condition in which an object or system is vibrating at its natural frequency, resulting in a large amplitude of oscillation. This occurs when the frequency of an external force matches the natural frequency of the object or system.

What is alternating current (AC)?

Alternating current is an electrical current that periodically reverses direction, as opposed to direct current (DC) which flows in only one direction. In AC, the flow of electrons changes direction at a regular interval, typically 50 or 60 times per second.

How does resonance occur in an AC circuit?

Resonance in an AC circuit occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This happens when the frequency of the AC source matches the natural frequency of the circuit.

What are the applications of resonance in AC circuits?

Resonance in AC circuits is used in a variety of applications such as radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and electric power transmission. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices such as filters, amplifiers, and oscillators.

How can resonance be controlled in an AC circuit?

Resonance in an AC circuit can be controlled by adjusting the frequency of the AC source or by changing the values of the inductance and capacitance in the circuit. This is important in order to prevent damage to the circuit and maintain its stability.