Resultant of two waves -- Different amplitude+phase difference

In summary, the two waves are:Phasor method: E1=4cos(ωt)+3cos(ωt+π/2-α) and E2=-3sin(ωt)+1cos(ωt+π/2-α)The resultant wave has a cosine term only.Homework Equations: E0=E1+E2 and E0=4cos(ωt+α-α)+3cos(ωt+α+\frac{\pi}{2}-α)
CricK0es

Homework Statement

a.) Find the resultant of the two waves: Phasor method
[tex] E1 = 4cos(ωt) [/tex] & [tex] E2 = 3cos(ωt+\frac{\pi}{2}) [/tex]

b.) By algebraically writing
[tex] E1 = 4cos(ωt+α-α) [/tex] & [tex] E2 = 3cos(ωt+α+\frac{\pi}{2}-α) [/tex]

Choose α to make the wave have only a cosine term

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll show my working for the algebraic attempt so far, then try and see how to do it via phasors later.

[tex] E0 = E1 + E2 [/tex]
[tex] E0 = 4cos(ωt+α-α)+3cos(ωt+α+\frac{\pi}{2}-α) [/tex]
My ability to use LaTeX ran out... sorry, I just couldn't get it to work. I'll try to keep it clear... ;(

[ 4 . Cos(α) + 3 . Cos( π/2 - α) ] . Cos(ωt + α) + [ 4 . Sin(α) - 3 . Sin( π/2 - α) ] . Sin(ωt + α)

Make the wave have only a cosine term ∴

[ 4 . Sin(α) - 3 . Sin( π/2 - α) ] = 0

4. Sin(α) = 3. Cos(α)
tan(α) = 3/4

That's pretty much as far as I got. I wasn't sure what to do after this. Any help would me much appreciated.

Many thanks...

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The technique they are trying to teach you in part "b" is somewhat clumsy IMO, and I will show you what I do with expressions like these. You can probably work it to the method they are trying to teach you in part "b". You need to first get the sum expressions in the form ## y=Acos(\omega t)+Bsin(\omega t) ##. ## \\ ## (In the case of ## E2=-3sin(\omega t) ## , by use of the ## cos(\theta +\phi) ## identity.) ## \\ ## Anyway, once you have the form as shown, factor as follows: ## y=\sqrt{A^2+B^2} [\frac{A}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}cos(\omega t)+\frac{B}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}sin(\omega t)] ##. ## \\ ## Let ## cos(\phi)=\frac{A}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}} ## and ## sin(\phi)=\frac{B}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}} ##. ## \\ ## Then ## y=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}cos(\omega t-\phi) ## . ## \\ ## (Notice how the identity ## cos(\omega t-\phi)=cos(\omega t)cos(\phi)+sin(\omega t) sin(\phi) ## was used here. Notice also that ## \phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{B}{A}) ##.) ## \\ ## This comes up often enough in engineering and/or physics that the procedure is something worth memorizing. Perhaps the ## \phi ## that I found is the ## \alpha ## that they want you to find, but their method appears somewhat clumsy to me.

Last edited:
Likes CricK0es
Instead of memorizing formulas, you can derive the amplitude and phase angle of the sum.
You want to make 4cos(ωt)+3cos(ωt+π/2)=Acos(ωt+θ)
Expand the cosines:
4cos(ωt) - 3sin(ωt) = Acos(ωt)cosθ - Asin(ωt)sin(θ).
Collect the terms with cos(ωt) and the ones, with sin(ωt):
[4-Acos(θ)]cos(ωt) + [ -3 + A sin(θ)] sin(ωt)
The equation should be true for all values of t, so the coefficients of both cos(ωt) and sin(ωt) have to be zero.
Acos(θ) - 4 = 0, Asin(θ)-3=0, or
Acos(θ) = 4 and
Asin(θ) = 3
You get A2 by squaring the last two equations and adding them (and using that sin2(θ)+cos2(θ)=1). Dividing both equations with A, you get both the sine and cosine of the phase angle theta. Yes, you are right, tan(θ)=3/4. Find theta (in radians).

Likes CricK0es
Thank you both. Your responses were very helpful and I think I've got it now. I have another question, but I'll post that as a separate thread.

1. What is the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences?

The resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences is the combined wave formed by adding the two individual waves together. This results in a new wave with a different amplitude and phase compared to the original waves.

2. How do you calculate the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences?

To calculate the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences, you first need to determine the amplitude and phase of each individual wave. Then, you can use the formula A1cos(ωt + φ1) + A2cos(ωt + φ2) to find the new amplitude and phase of the resultant wave.

3. Can the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences be negative?

Yes, the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences can be negative. This occurs when the amplitudes of the individual waves are in opposite directions and cancel each other out, resulting in a negative amplitude for the resultant wave.

4. How does the phase difference between two waves affect the resultant?

The phase difference between two waves can greatly affect the resultant wave. If the phase difference is 0 degrees, the two waves will be in phase and the resultant will have a higher amplitude. However, if the phase difference is 180 degrees, the two waves will be out of phase and the resultant will have a lower amplitude or even cancel out completely.

5. Can the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences change over time?

Yes, the resultant of two waves with different amplitudes and phase differences can change over time. This is due to the phenomenon of interference, where the waves will interact and create a new resultant wave that may have different amplitudes and phases at different points in time.