Reversible operation of fuel cell

In summary: So, in summary, the underlined part of the passage means that in order to have a fuel cell generate any appreciable current, it must operate in a quasi-static fashion, with the voltage being exactly balanced by the external circuit.
Est120
TL;DR Summary
fuel cell under the scope of chemical thermodynamics; conditions for reversible operation
Can someone explain me what does the underlined part of the following passage mean?

"The reversible operation of a fuel cell implies that the external circuit exactly balances its emf, with the result that its current output is negligible. In actual operation under reasonable load, internal irreversibilities inevitably reduce the emf of the cell and decrease its production of electrical work while increasing the amount of heat transfer to the surroundings."​

I know what a reversible (thermodynamically speaking) path means, but i my knowledge in electronic devices is limited.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Est120 said:
TL;DR Summary: fuel cell under the scope of chemical thermodynamics; conditions for reversible operation

I know what a reversible (thermodynamically speaking) path means, but i my knowledge in electronic devices is limited.
This is essentially the argument about quasi-static processes. In order to have appreciable current flow the internal processes will need finite currents and finite voltages and disequalibrium.
In what context does one worry about reversibility of a fuel cell?

I know nearly nothing about fuel cell thermodynamics. However, they operate like a battery. Through some mystical (to me) alchemy they generate a voltage potential by separating electrons from ions and send electrons out through an external circuit to return to balance the ions left behind in the cell. The voltage they can make is finite, of course, and determined by the chemistry.

So imagine a circuit with two batteries connected in parallel (+ to +, - to - terminals). Current will flow from one to (through) the other if it's voltage is greater, it will flow the other direction if it's voltage is lower. So, they are describing a situation where the voltage from the fuel cell is exactly the same (balanced) with the voltage imposed from an external circuit. In this case no current will flow. Current always flows from a higher potential to a lower potential. No voltage difference means no current flow.

1. What is a fuel cell?

A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy of a fuel (such as hydrogen) and an oxidant (such as oxygen) into electricity. It operates like a battery, but unlike a battery, it requires a continuous supply of fuel and oxidant to sustain the chemical reactions.

2. How does a fuel cell work?

A fuel cell works by separating the fuel and oxidant with an electrolyte, which allows ions to flow between the two sides. The fuel (usually hydrogen) is fed into the anode side of the fuel cell, where it is split into protons and electrons. The protons pass through the electrolyte to the cathode side, while the electrons flow through an external circuit, creating an electrical current. At the cathode, the protons, electrons, and oxidant (usually oxygen) combine to produce water and heat as byproducts.

3. What is reversible operation of a fuel cell?

Reversible operation of a fuel cell refers to the ability of a fuel cell to switch between producing electricity (as a fuel cell) and using electricity to produce fuel (as an electrolyzer). This means that the same device can be used to both generate electricity and store energy in the form of fuel, making it a versatile and sustainable energy source.

4. What are the benefits of reversible operation for fuel cells?

Reversible operation of fuel cells offers several benefits, including increased flexibility and efficiency. By being able to switch between producing and using electricity, fuel cells can help balance the grid and store excess renewable energy. It also allows for the production of hydrogen as a clean and sustainable fuel source. Additionally, reversible operation can improve the overall efficiency of a fuel cell system by utilizing excess heat generated during the fuel production process.

5. What are the challenges of reversible operation for fuel cells?

There are several challenges associated with reversible operation of fuel cells, including the need for specialized materials and components that can withstand both fuel cell and electrolyzer conditions. This can increase the cost and complexity of the system. Additionally, the efficiency of reversible operation is currently lower than that of traditional fuel cell operation, so further research and development is needed to improve performance. Lastly, the storage and transportation of hydrogen as a fuel can also pose logistical challenges.