Graduate Electrodynamics I: Essential Math Topics to Review

In summary, when preparing for a Graduate Electrodynamics I course, it is recommended to brush up on PDE, Math-Methods, ODE, and Linear-Algebra. However, the textbook "Jackson" is actually a mathematical physics book disguised as an electrodynamics text. While it is frequently recommended, the conversation's expert suggests also checking out "Schwinger" as it is their favorite and may be a better resource for preparation. They recommend going to a library to read through "Schwinger" for a brush up.
majormuss
I am prepping for my spring Graduate E/M I course (official textbook: Jackson) and will like to know what math topics in PDE/Math-Methods/ODE/Linear-Algebra to brush up on or hone down on as I prep? Which topics are most frequently needed for Graduate Electrodynamics I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jackson is a mathematical physics book disguised as an electrodynamics text.

Likes majormuss and Delta2
Its not often talked about but my favorite is Schwinger:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0738200565/?tag=pfamazon01-20

When deciding on an EM reference went down to a university library to check out Jackson everyone said was THE book. Read Jackson - it was good. But spotted Schwinger and IMHO it was better so ended not bothering with Jackson and got Schwinger instead. I would just go down to your library and read through Schwinger for a bit of a brush up.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes majormuss

1. What is "Math Prep for Graduate E/M I"?

"Math Prep for Graduate E/M I" is a course designed to help graduate students prepare for the mathematical concepts and skills needed in their studies of electromagnetism. It covers topics such as vector calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis.

2. Who is this course intended for?

This course is specifically designed for graduate students who are studying electromagnetism or related fields and need to improve their math skills in order to succeed in their studies.

3. How is this course structured?

The course is divided into modules, each focusing on a specific mathematical concept. Each module includes lectures, practice problems, and quizzes to help students understand and apply the material.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to take this course?

While a strong foundation in calculus is recommended, this course is designed to help students improve their math skills and build a solid understanding of the necessary concepts. It is suitable for students with varying levels of math proficiency.

5. How will this course benefit me?

This course will help you develop the mathematical skills and knowledge needed to succeed in your graduate studies of electromagnetism. It will also provide you with a strong foundation for future courses and research in this field.