Reviewing for Grad School: Tips Needed

In summary: Your expert summarizerIn summary, the conversation discussed the individual's plan to review for grad school, including a focus on improving math skills and using Mary L. Boas' book as a resource. The importance of balancing understanding and problem-solving in the review process was also mentioned, along with the suggestion to supplement with additional resources and regularly review previously covered material to ensure retention. Overall, the individual is dedicated and determined to succeed in their review for grad school.
kq6up
I am currently reviewing for grad school. I graduated a while back, so I am going to need a very solid review. I am starting now to prepare for the coming fall. My math skills were a little underwhelming in my Jr/Sr year at UCR, so I am hitting the math bench press first. I have been teaching in the field for about eight years now though at the high school level. I can still do basic calculus differentiation and integration.

I have picked up (by recommendation): Mary L. Boas' book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences".

I have started on chapter 1 section one and plan on working through the book. The concepts seem very easy and straight forward, but the problems are tricky. I know it is good to wrestle with problems and not skip that hard ones, but I think there is some point of diminishing returns when doing this. I really need to be careful not to waste valuable review time grinding on problems that I mostly understand. On the underhand maybe that is just a part of knocking off the rust.

I would like to finish the book by summer, and I plan on doing most of the odd number questions in the book. I was never good at being a good judge of when to move on as not to waste time as a undergrad. I felt like I needed to understand everything. That worked fine at the community college, but I fell behind at UCR.

Input much appreciated,
Thanks, Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Chris,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to review for grad school and for taking the initiative to start preparing early. I can assure you that having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in any field of science. It is great that you have identified your weak areas and are actively working on improving them.

I am familiar with Mary L. Boas' book and it is definitely a great resource for reviewing mathematical methods in the physical sciences. However, I would also recommend supplementing your review with other resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, and possibly even joining a study group or finding a tutor. This will help you gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and provide additional practice for problem-solving.

In terms of your approach to working through the book, I think it is important to strike a balance between understanding the material and not getting bogged down by difficult problems. It is definitely beneficial to struggle with challenging problems, but as you mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns. If you feel like you have a good grasp on the concept but are struggling with a particular problem, it might be more beneficial to move on and come back to it later with a fresh perspective.

Additionally, I would recommend setting aside some time each week to review previously covered material to ensure that you are retaining the information. This will also help you identify any areas that may require additional review.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place for reviewing and I have no doubt that with your determination and dedication, you will be well-prepared for grad school. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Reviewing for Grad School: Tips Needed

1. What should be included in a review for grad school?

A review for grad school should include a summary of the program, its requirements, and any specific areas of focus. It should also include a personal evaluation of the program, highlighting strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, it is helpful to include any relevant personal experiences or insights that may be valuable for others considering the program.

2. How should I structure my review for grad school?

The structure of a review for grad school can vary, but it is important to include an introduction, a detailed analysis of the program, and a conclusion. You may also want to include subheadings for different aspects of the program to make the review more organized and easy to read.

3. Is it okay to include negative opinions in my review for grad school?

Yes, it is important to provide an honest and balanced review. However, it is important to provide constructive criticism and avoid being overly negative. If you had a negative experience, it is helpful to provide suggestions for improvement rather than just highlighting the negatives.

4. Should I include personal anecdotes in my review for grad school?

Personal anecdotes can be helpful in providing insight and perspective on the program. However, it is important to keep the focus on the program and avoid including excessive personal details. Make sure to tie in your personal experiences to specific aspects of the program or how it has impacted your overall experience.

5. How can I ensure that my review for grad school is helpful to others?

To ensure that your review is helpful to others, make sure to be thorough, honest, and specific. Provide details and examples to support your opinions and try to include information that you wish you had known before starting the program. It can also be helpful to read other reviews to get an idea of what information is most valuable to potential students.