Revisiting the Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem

In summary: The net force is the vector...just kidding.In summary, the problem appears to be that the solution offered is backwards. The force on the wall should be Fw=sec(alpha) not Fw=tan(alpha). The equation for the force of the ball on the surface should be Fw=(1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt.
John Helly
Homework Statement
I was looking at the first problem in the Feynman Tips on Physics suggested problems. It appears to me that the solution offered is backwards in that the force on the wall Fw = tan(alpha) when it seems it should be Fw=sec(alpha). Can anyone suggest what I'm misunderstanding?
Relevant Equations
Fw = tan(alpha) * kg-wt
Fp = (1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt
Fw = sec(alpha) * kg-wt
Fp = tan(alpha) * kg-wt

Physics news on Phys.org
John Helly said:
Homework Statement: I was looking at the first problem in the Feynman Tips on Physics suggested problems. It appears to me that the solution offered is backwards in that the force on the wall Fw = tan(alpha) when it seems it should be Fw=sec(alpha). Can anyone suggest what I'm misunderstanding?
Relevant Equations: Fw = tan(alpha) * kg-wt
Fp = (1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt

Fw = sec(alpha) * kg-wt
Fp = tan(alpha) * kg-wt
We don’t all have a copy of that work, useful as it may be. Please state the question.

Likes MatinSAR
Right. Sorry. Here it is.

1.1 A ball of radius 3.0 cm and weight 1.00 kg rests on a plane tilted at an angle alpha with the horizontal and also touches a vertical wall. Both surfaces have negligible friction. Find the force with which the ball presses on each plane.

Fw is the force on the wall. Fp is the force on the plane.

Why did you write
Fw = tan(alpha) * kg-wt ?
Fw is a horizontal force because the wall is vertical and can only exert a force perpendicular to its surface.

Please post the free body diagram that you used to write your equations.

That's what is given as an answer in the solutions. I don't think it's correct. I think the answer is backwards.

I think the horizontal force on the vertical wall should be Fw=(1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt. Not Fw=tan(alpha)*kg-wt.

It sounds like you agree. I'll try to draw a decent diagram and post it if this is not clear.

John Helly said:
I think the horizontal force on the vertical wall should be Fw=(1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt.
What does this expression predict for Fw when ##\alpha = 0##? Does that seem right?

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK
TSny said:
What does this expression predict for Fw when ##\alpha = 0##? Does that seem right?
I just realized that the "-" in Fw=(1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt. is not a "minus" sign but a "times" sign. Nevertheless, the expression is still wrong for the reason you mentioned in #6.

Likes MatinSAR
Good point. So it looks like the original published answer is correct.

John Helly said:
Good point. So it looks like the original published answer is correct.
Yes, the published answer is correct. If you would like to discover why you weren't getting the right answer, post your attempt along with a good free-body diagram for the ball.

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK
Will do.

kuruman said:
I just realized that the "-" in Fw=(1/cos(alpha)) * kg-wt. is not a "minus" sign but a "times" sign.
The kg-wt ("kilogram-weight") is a unit of force defined as the force that will cause a 1 kg mass to accelerate with the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth. This unit is also called the kilogram-force.

Likes Lnewqban and kuruman
Yes, of course. How silly of me not to think of the unit context in an algebraic expression without numerical values. :rolleyes:

1688778556740.png

Here's what I came up with. I can see it when it rotates down but still seems kind of odd.

This diagram is confusing. I suggest that you redraw it showing the three forces that act on the ball only and find expressions for them. Then use Newton's 3rd law to find the force that the ball exats on the wall and on the plane.

Ok.

1688780525862.png

Better?

This seems to make sense.

1688782159109.png

John Helly said:
Two of those forces are forces exerted by the ball on the surfaces. The forces on the ball are in the opposite direction. As the ball is static, the total force on the ball must be zero - which is the key point.

Likes MatinSAR
Mahalo. I was trying to interpret it geometrically and could't get the directions right.

John Helly said:
Mahalo. I was trying to interpret it geometrically and could't get the directions right.
Is the wall pulling the ball towards itself or pushing back on it?
Same question for the ramp.
What are the two vertically upward arrows?

Likes MatinSAR
There are three entities exerting forces on the sphere
  1. Earth
  2. Wall
  3. Inclined plane

Look at the figure below which is the beginning of a free body diagram for the sphere as your system. You are asked to finish drawing it. The wall and the inclined plane are not part of the system so that forces that the sphere exerts on them are not to be included.

The first step is to draw one and only one arrow representing the force that each entity exerts on the sphere. There should be 3 arrows with their tails at the point where the force is exerted. You may assume that the "Earth" arrow has its tail at the center of the sphere. Go for it.

FeynmanSphere.png

Likes John Helly and MatinSAR
Ok. Correct?
1688849292089.png

That's the diagram but not the equation. Why should the weight be equal to the sum of the other forces?

Newton's second law says that the net force is equal to mass times acceleration. Here the acceleration is zero. The net force is the vector sum of the three forces. You have to find that and set its horizontal and vertical components equal to zero.

Right. More head scratching.
1688852823135.png

Once you're done scratching, you may consider figuring out the horizontal and vertical components of each vector in order to find algebraic expressions for the horizontal and vertical components of the net force.

Likes SammyS
Will do.

John Helly said:
Will do.
Newton's second law can be written in vector form:$$\vec F = m\vec a$$This is actually shorthand for three equations, one for each spatial dimension:$$F_x = ma_x, \ F_y = ma_y, \ F_z = ma_z$$In this (two dimensional) problem, this reduces to two equations that must be satisfied. It's common to take ##x## as the horizontal direction and ##y## as the vertical. So, you have two equations to balance.

The next thing I would do is show the horizontal and vertical components of the force you've labelled ##F_p##.

Mahalo.

John Helly said:
Mahalo.
Well, this is what I came up with and it's obviously wrong but I don't know why.

Attachments

• Feynman-110.pdf
    301.1 KB · Views: 54
You're pretty close. Your forces in the diagram look good. But you need to be careful with the signs of the x and y components of the forces. Usually, we take the positive x-direction to be to the right and the positive-y direction to be upward. If so, then what should be the sign of the x-component of ##\vec {F}_p##? What should be the sign of the y-component of ##\vec {F}_g##?

I concur with @TSny. For future reference, when the sum of any number of vectors is zero and you add them using the graphical "tip-to-tail" graphical construction, you end with a closed polygon. The number of sides is equal to the number of forces that are added.

Here you have a right triangle because there are 3 forces and ##F_w## and ##F_g## are perpendicular (see below). All you have to do is figure out which of the interior acute angles should be labeled ##\alpha## and then write down the usual trig relations.

FeynmanSphereFBD.png

1. What is the Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem?

The Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem is a physics problem proposed by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. It involves a ball rolling down an inclined plane and requires the application of principles such as gravity and friction to determine the ball's motion.

2. Why is the Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem important?

This problem is important because it helps students understand and apply fundamental concepts in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It also demonstrates the use of mathematical equations to solve real-world problems.

3. What are the key steps to solving the Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem?

The key steps to solving this problem involve drawing a free body diagram, identifying the forces acting on the ball, setting up equations of motion, and solving for the unknown variables. It is also important to consider the angle of the incline and the coefficient of friction in the calculations.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the ball in the Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem?

The angle of the incline affects the motion of the ball by changing the components of the gravitational force acting on the ball. As the angle increases, the component of the force pulling the ball down the incline becomes larger, resulting in a faster acceleration of the ball.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Feynman Ball on an Inclined Plane Problem?

The principles used in solving this problem can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the speed of a car on a sloped road, and analyzing the motion of objects on a rollercoaster. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as designing ramps and calculating the forces acting on objects on an incline.