Revolutionary Physics experiments that changed the world

In summary, the conversation discusses various experiments that have changed the world, such as Henry Cavendish's weighing of the earth, Young's double-slit experiment, Rutherford's work on atoms, and Faraday's work in electromagnetism. The individual is seeking suggestions for more revolutionary experiments and asks for help in choosing the most impactful one. Some suggestions include Röntgen's discovery of x-rays, Tesla's decision for AC, Magellan-Elcano expedition to demonstrate the spherical earth, Copernicus' astronomy, and Bell's and Ries' discovery of telephony. The conversation concludes with the mention of the Trinity test as a significant experiment with political implications.
AvneetKaur
I am student of bsc.(hons.)physics..i need to discuss any of the experiment that changed the world..i have tried but i need some more suggestions..some of the experiments i found revolutionary are listed below..
1. henery cavendish weighing the earth
2. young's double slit experiment
3.Rutherford's work on atoms
4.michelson morley experiment
5.Faraday's work in electromagnetism
6.Archimedes discovery of upthrust
please suggest more and help me to choose one most revolutionary experiment...

Physics news on Phys.org
Röntgen's discovery of x-rays
Tesla's decision for AC
Magellan-Elcano expedition to demonstrate the spherical earth
Copernicus' astronomy
Bell's and Ries' discovery of telephony

AvneetKaur said:
4.michelson morley experiment

please ... help me to choose one most revolutionary experiment...

Choose that one!

I vote for Young's double-slit experiment. After two hundred years we're still discussing the results.

Primitive mans experiments with heated mixtures of natural minerals which led to the development of metal production and much of chemistry .

Early experiments leading to invention of the steam engine and to development of the science of thermodynamics .

Without these two there would be no modern world as we know it .

Much depends on what we mean by "changed the world". Some experiments have provided enormously important insights into how the world works yet haven't changed much of anything that that happens around us; I'd put observations of violations of Bell's inequality in that category. Some other far less surprising results have changed the world in much bigger ways; the discovery of nuclear fission comes to mind.

If I had to choose the scientific discovery that made for the most change I'd have to go for Copernican planetary motion, which set off a centuries-long, often violent, and not yet settled conflict between two fundamentally different organizing principles for human society.

Likes mrspeedybob
Discovery of atomic fission had political implications far beyond what has been proposed so far.

Don't know who, where, or when, but at some point, someone had to conduct an experiment to confirm the feasibility of transferring an idea from one person to another via artificial graphical representation. This would have been the genesis of writing.

Trinity test

Likes berkeman
Khashishi said:
Trinity test
You beat me to it! :smile:

Related to Revolutionary Physics experiments that changed the world

1. What are some examples of revolutionary physics experiments that changed the world?

Some examples of revolutionary physics experiments that changed the world include the double-slit experiment by Thomas Young, which demonstrated the wave-particle duality of light, and the Cavendish experiment by Henry Cavendish, which measured the gravitational constant and proved the existence of the force of gravity.

2. How did the Michelson-Morley experiment contribute to our understanding of physics?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was designed to measure the speed of light in different directions, with the goal of detecting the Earth's motion through the hypothetical "ether" medium. The results of the experiment showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the direction of measurement, leading to the development of Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. What impact did the discovery of radioactivity have on the field of physics?

The discovery of radioactivity by Marie Curie and Pierre Curie led to a major shift in our understanding of the atom, as it demonstrated that atoms were not indivisible as previously believed. This discovery also opened up new fields of study, such as nuclear physics and medical applications of radioactive materials.

4. How did the discovery of the Higgs boson revolutionize our understanding of particle physics?

The discovery of the Higgs boson, also known as the "God particle," confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass. This discovery helped to complete the Standard Model of particle physics and shed light on the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

5. What role did the photoelectric effect play in the development of quantum mechanics?

The photoelectric effect, first observed by Albert Einstein, demonstrated that light could behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on the experimental setup. This phenomenon challenged traditional physics theories and played a significant role in the development of quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.