Revolutions frequency after collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a bar that is initially vertically quiet and free to rotate about a vertical axle. Two bullets of equal mass and velocity collide with the bar, becoming embedded into it. The conversation then asks for the confirmation of a calculation for the revolution frequency of the bar after the collision. The provided calculation is correct, with a frequency of 500 hz.
bznm

Homework Statement

A bar, whose mass is 10kg, is 3 cm long and is free to rotate about a vertical axle through its centre.
At the beginning, the bar is vertically quiet. Then, the two extremities are hit at the same time by two bullets, one by the left and the other by the right. Their masses are 5 kg each and their velocity is 62.8 m/s.
In the inelastic collision, the bullets become ... (I don't know the exact word for "loyal", "several", "they are moving exactly like the bar", "they are embedded into the bar") each respectly to an extremity.

2. What I need:
I'd like to know the revolutions frequency of the bar after the collision.

3. Attempts to the solution
My result is 500 revolutions per second. I have some doubts, so I ask you for a confirm.

Thank you very very much
Sorry for my bad english and for my horrible diagram :grumpy:
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6713/diagramo.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result looks fine. I can't comment on your method of finding that result, since you didn't provide it.

I have tried to solve it. Can you confirm? Is it right?

r=radius vector, m=mass, v=velocity

[itex]Lp=[/itex]angular momentum of a bullet [itex]= rmv= 0.015 *5*62.8=4.71*10^-2[/itex]

[itex]A=[/itex]angular momentum of 2 bullets [itex]=2*Lp=9.42 \frac{m^2 * kg} {s}[/itex]Inertia bar = [itex]\frac {1}{12}*M*length^2=\frac {1}{12}*10*(3*10^-2)^2=7.5*10^-4[/itex]

Inertia 1 bullet = [itex]mr^2=5*(1.5*10^-2)^2=1.125*10^-3[/itex]

inertia 2 bullets = 2 *( Inertia 1 bullet) = [itex]2.25*10^3[/itex]

[itex]I[/itex]=Sum of inertia = Inertia Bar + Inertia bullets = [itex]7.5+10^-4+2.25*10^-3=3*10^-3[/itex]
[itex]A=Iw[/itex]

[itex]9,42 = 3*10^-3 w[/itex] --> [itex]w=3410[/itex]

frequency=[itex]\frac {w}{2\pi}=500 hz[/itex]

Yes, that is correct. Nicely done.

Thank you very very much. It was my university test today. I am so grateful :D :D

1. How does the frequency of revolutions change after a collision?

After a collision, the frequency of revolutions can increase, decrease, or remain the same depending on the conditions of the collision. For example, if the collision results in a change in the object's mass or velocity, the frequency of revolutions will also change.

2. What factors affect the frequency of revolutions after a collision?

The factors that affect the frequency of revolutions after a collision include the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and any external forces acting on the objects.

3. Is there a formula for calculating the new frequency of revolutions after a collision?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the new frequency of revolutions after a collision. It takes into account the initial frequency, mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved in the collision.

4. Can the frequency of revolutions ever remain the same after a collision?

Yes, it is possible for the frequency of revolutions to remain the same after a collision. This would occur when the collision does not result in any changes to the objects' mass, velocity, or direction of motion.

5. How does friction affect the frequency of revolutions after a collision?

Friction can affect the frequency of revolutions after a collision by slowing down the objects' motion and causing a decrease in frequency. It can also cause the objects to change direction, resulting in a change in the frequency of revolutions.