Revolutions per minute, angular deceleration

In summary, the motor driving the large grindstone is switched off when a rotational speed of 360 rpm has been achieved. After 15s the speed has decreased to 210rpm. If the angular deceleration remains constant, how many additional revolutions does the stone make before coming to rest?
Flucky
Hi all,

Homework Statement

The motor driving a large grindstone is switched off when a rotational speed of 360 rpm has been achieved. After 15s the speed has decreased to 210rpm. If the angular deceleration remains constant, how many additional revolutions does the stone make before coming to rest?

The Attempt at a Solution

So to start with I converted rpm to rads-1 which was easy enough (I left it in pi to make life easier)

ω0 = 360/60 x 2∏ =12∏ rads-1
ω15 = 210/60 x 2∏ =7∏ rads-1

I then used v=u+at to find the acceleration

7∏ = 12∏ + 15a
a = -∏/3 rads-2

This is where I'm having a mind block as to what to do next, from 15s to when the stone comes to rest - how many additional revolutions does the stone make?

Would love some pointers (I'm sure it's a simple solution but my heads refusing to grasp it).

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the angular velocity of the motor and the angular deceleration at t=15 s,
you should be able to easily determine how many additional revolutions occur before the motor stops.

Imagine this: you have a vehicle going a certain velocity when the brakes are applied. How would you calculate the stopping distance from the point where the brakes were applied?

SteamKing said:
If you have the angular velocity of the motor and the angular deceleration at t=15 s,
you should be able to easily determine how many additional revolutions occur before the motor stops.

Imagine this: you have a vehicle going a certain velocity when the brakes are applied. How would you calculate the stopping distance from the point where the brakes were applied?

Thanks for the reply.

For the car thing I'd just use a kinematic equation - but surely distance doesn't relate to revolutions?

Are there any equations that are cirular motion specific?

Right OK just found an equation θ = ωit + 0.5αt2 which looks very useful. With that I think all I need to do is find the time it takes to completely stop, use that in the equation I've just stated then convert θ into revolutions and Bob's your uncle.

I'll give that a go but I think I've got it from here.

Just as a check did anybody get the answer 363 revolutions?

Last edited:

What does "revolutions per minute" mean?

Revolutions per minute (RPM) is a unit of measurement that represents the number of rotations an object makes around its axis in one minute.

How is angular deceleration different from angular acceleration?

Angular deceleration refers to a decrease in the rate at which an object rotates, while angular acceleration refers to an increase in the rate of rotation.

What are some common examples of objects that have a high RPM?

Some common examples of objects with high RPMs include car engines, electric motors, and airplane propellers.

How is RPM related to speed?

The higher the RPM, the faster an object is rotating around its axis. However, the relationship between RPM and speed depends on the size and shape of the object.

How can you calculate angular deceleration?

Angular deceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time.