Revolve line around axis in sinusoidal fashion?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a helical surface using a vector valued function in Mathematica. The solution involves using the RevolutionPlot3D function and specifying the z-axis as the axis of rotation. The number of rotations can be controlled by changing the upper limit of the angle of rotation.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a vector valued function ##f(s) = r(s)\hat r + z(s)\hat z## that plots a line in the ##r##,##z## plane when I use ParametricPlot. I'd like to plot this line into a surface, so that it revolves around the ##z## axis, but in a sinusoidal fashion. Basically I'd like to revolve it around the ##z## axis as ##\cos(l \theta) : l = 0,1,2...##. So ##l=0## would imply axisymmetric, while ##l>0## would imply a different sort of symmetry.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

It sounds like you are trying to create a helical surface using your vector valued function. To do this, you can use the RevolutionPlot3D function in Mathematica. This function allows you to create a surface by revolving a curve around a specified axis.

In your case, you would want to specify the axis of rotation as the z-axis and use your function as the curve to be revolved. The syntax for RevolutionPlot3D would be something like this:

RevolutionPlot3D[{r(s), 0, z(s)}, {s, smin, smax}, {θ, 0, 2π}, RevolutionAxis -> {0, 0, 1}]

Here, smin and smax would be the limits of your parameter s, and θ would be the angle of rotation around the z-axis. You can also specify the number of rotations (l in your case) by changing the upper limit of θ.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What does it mean to revolve a line around an axis?

Revolution is a geometric transformation that involves rotating a shape around a fixed point or axis. In this case, the line is being rotated around an axis in a sinusoidal, or wavy, fashion.

2. What is the purpose of revolving a line in a sinusoidal fashion?

Revolving a line in a sinusoidal fashion can be used to create three-dimensional shapes, such as a helix or spiral. It can also be used to model real-life phenomena, such as the orbit of planets or the motion of waves.

3. How is the sinusoidal motion of the line determined?

The sinusoidal motion of the line is determined by the equation y = Asin(Bx + C), where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, and C is the phase shift. These values can be adjusted to create different sinusoidal patterns.

4. Are there any real-life applications of revolving a line around an axis in a sinusoidal fashion?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of revolving a line in a sinusoidal fashion. For example, it can be used in engineering to design spiral-shaped objects, in physics to model wave motion, and in mathematics to study harmonic motion.

5. What are some other ways to create three-dimensional shapes besides revolving a line around an axis?

Besides revolving a line around an axis, other methods for creating three-dimensional shapes include extrusion (stretching a shape along an axis), lofting (creating a shape by combining two or more shapes), and sculpting (manipulating a shape using digital tools).