Revolving disc in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a known equation for calculating the magnetic field strength of a rotating disc. The equation involves integrating incremental emfs along a radial slice of the disc and results in the formula ##\varepsilon = \frac{B\omega r^{2}}{2} = B\pi r^{2}f##. The question at the end confirms agreement with this equation.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Calculate the number of revolution being made per minute (rpm) by the fly-wheel
Relevant Equations
See image attached below
Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 17.04.37.png

I know that there is a known equation to calculate the magnetic field strength of a rotating disc which I have made use of in here

IMG_3900.JPG

Do you agree that revs per minute of the disc turns out to be 9337 rpm?

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure someone else can give a more rigorous derivation, though to derive the initial equation I considered a radial slice of the disk and integrated up all of the incremental emfs along that slice.

That is, ##\int d\varepsilon = \int Bv dr = \int B\omega r dr##

which gives ##\varepsilon = \frac{B\omega r^{2}}{2} = B\pi r^{2}f##

But to answer your question, yes, I agree.

Likes vanhees71, TSny and Bolter
etotheipi said:
I'm sure someone else can give a more rigorous derivation, though to derive the initial equation I considered a radial slice of the disk and integrated up all of the incremental emfs along that slice.

That is, ##\int d\varepsilon = \int Bv dr = \int B\omega r dr##

which gives ##\varepsilon = \frac{B\omega r^{2}}{2} = B\pi r^{2}f##

But to answer your question, yes, I agree.

This is a really nice and simply way of looking at it which I hadn't thought of :)

1. What is a revolving disc in a magnetic field?

A revolving disc in a magnetic field is a scientific phenomenon where a disc-shaped object is placed in a magnetic field and is caused to rotate due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the disc's material.

2. How does a revolving disc in a magnetic field work?

The revolving motion of the disc is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. As the disc rotates, the magnetic field exerts a force on the electrons in the disc, causing them to move in a circular motion and thus rotating the disc.

3. What are the real-world applications of a revolving disc in a magnetic field?

Revolving discs in a magnetic field have various applications in industries such as power generation, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.

4. How is the direction of rotation determined in a revolving disc in a magnetic field?

The direction of rotation in a revolving disc in a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current flow in the disc. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of rotation in relation to the magnetic field and current flow.

5. Can the speed of rotation in a revolving disc in a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the speed of rotation in a revolving disc in a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the current flow in the disc. The speed also depends on the material of the disc and its size.