RF energy between charged plates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of rf energy between two parallel plates that are charged to a high voltage. The possible causes suggested include field emission at the cathode, eddy currents, and corona discharge. The individual experimenting with high voltage is seeking clarification on the physics behind this phenomenon.
hobbs125
I have two parallel conductive plates.
The plates are charged to a high voltage by a HVDC power supply.

When the plates are charged rf energy is present between them.

What could be causing this?
I am thinking field emission at the cathode is causing it ,but not really understanding physics is that plausible?

What do you guys think? What could be the cause of rf occurring between two plates charged to a high dc voltage?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eddy Currents, Whatcha trying to do? I'm not a physicist btw.

Just playing around with high voltage and noticed rf on my oscope while applying a high voltage to parallel plates... wondering what is causing it?

I know it's not just noise from a nearby source and know that it's coming from between the plates. ... also I noticed it's highest amplitude frequency is related to the distance between the plates

Last edited:
If you are applying a high voltage to a conductive material, you can induce a voltage across another if it's close, same reason why metal stuff next to a magnet becomes magnetized

Related to RF energy between charged plates?

1. What is RF energy between charged plates?

RF (Radio Frequency) energy between charged plates is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is generated when an alternating current flows between two charged plates. This energy is characterized by its high frequency and low wavelength, and is commonly used in communication and energy transmission systems.

2. How is RF energy between charged plates produced?

RF energy between charged plates is produced by applying an alternating current to the plates, which causes the charges to oscillate back and forth. This oscillation creates an electromagnetic field that propagates outward from the plates, carrying the energy with it.

3. What are the applications of RF energy between charged plates?

RF energy between charged plates has a wide range of applications, including wireless communication systems such as Wi-Fi and cellular networks, radar systems, and energy transmission systems such as radio and television broadcasting.

4. What are the potential dangers of RF energy between charged plates?

Exposure to high levels of RF energy between charged plates can potentially be harmful to human health, as it can cause tissue heating and other biological effects. However, these dangers are typically only a concern at very high power levels, and most devices that use RF energy are designed to operate at safe levels.

5. How is RF energy between charged plates measured?

RF energy between charged plates is typically measured in watts (W), which represents the amount of energy being transmitted per unit time. Other common units of measurement include decibels (dB), which is a logarithmic scale used to express the power level relative to a reference point, and milliwatts (mW), which is a smaller unit of measurement used for lower power levels.