Rieman inversion formula in Laplace transform

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse Laplace transform of the function $\frac{e^{-5s}}{(s+4)^{2}}$ in terms of t using the Riemann inversion formula. The suggested approach is to use partial fraction decomposition and known Laplace transforms to obtain the final result.
lucad93
Hello everybody! I'm sorry if it's not the right section to post in. I'm trying to solve this exercise:
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2i\pi}*\int_{8-i\infty}^{8+i\infty}\frac{e^{s(t-5)}}{(s+4)^2}ds\)
The request is to find the result in function of \(\displaystyle t\)
I know i must use the Riemann inversion formula, and so the request would be to anti-transform this \(\displaystyle \frac{e^{-5s}}{(s+4)^{2}}\). First question: Am I right? I haven't found a transform that fit with this, how can I do?
ThankYou! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lucad93,

Welcome! (Smile) What you're trying to find here is the inverse Laplace transform of the function

$$F(s) = \frac{1}{(s + 4)^2}$$

at $t-5$. Do you have to compute this using residue calculus, or using certain properties of the Laplace transform (e.g., $\mathcal{L}(t^a)(s) = \Gamma(a+1)/s^{a+1}, a > -1$, etc.)?

Hi there! It looks like you are on the right track. The Riemann inversion formula is used to find the inverse Laplace transform of a given function. In this case, you are trying to find the inverse Laplace transform of \frac{e^{-5s}}{(s+4)^{2}}. One way to approach this is to use partial fraction decomposition to break down the function into a sum of simpler fractions. Then, you can use known Laplace transforms to find the inverse of each individual fraction. Once you have the inverse Laplace transforms, you can combine them to get the final result in terms of t. I hope this helps! Good luck with your exercise.

1. What is the Riemann inversion formula in Laplace transform?

The Riemann inversion formula is a mathematical tool used in the study of Laplace transforms. It allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform.

2. How is the Riemann inversion formula derived?

The Riemann inversion formula is derived using complex analysis and the Cauchy integral formula. It involves integrating along a contour in the complex plane and using the residue theorem to evaluate the integral.

3. What is the significance of the Riemann inversion formula?

The Riemann inversion formula is significant because it provides a way to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain and vice versa. This is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as signal processing and control theory.

4. What are the limitations of the Riemann inversion formula?

The Riemann inversion formula can only be used for functions that have a Laplace transform. Additionally, it may be difficult to evaluate the inverse integral or even determine the contour of integration in some cases.

5. Can the Riemann inversion formula be applied to functions with multiple poles?

Yes, the Riemann inversion formula can be applied to functions with multiple poles. However, the contour of integration must be carefully chosen to avoid crossing any of the poles, which can lead to incorrect results.