Composition of Two Continuous Functions .... Browder, Proposition 3.12

This is also the reason why preimages are sometimes called "inverse images" and not "backward images" ;)In summary, in the conversation, the topic of Proposition 3.12 and its proof from Andrew Browder's book "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" was discussed. The focus was on the equation ##f^{-1}(U\cap J) =f^{-1}(U) \cap f^{-1}(J)## and its proof. A formal proof was provided for the equation, showing that it holds true for an arbitrary element, thus proving its validity. It was also mentioned that this equation does not generally work for ##f##, as the direction of the inclusion is not always reversible.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help with an aspect of Andrew Browder's proof that the composition of two continuous functions is continuous ...
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 3: Continuous Functions on Intervals and am currently focused on Section 3.1 Limits and Continuity ... ...

I need some help in understanding the proof of Proposition 3.12 ...Proposition 3.12 and its proof read as follows:
Browder - Proposition 3.12 ... .png
In the above proof by Browder we read the following:

" ... ... Since ##f(I) \subset J##, ##f^{ -1 } ( g^{ -1 }(V) ) = f^{ -1 } (U) \cap f^{ -1 } (J) = f^{ -1 } (U)## ... ... "My question is as follows:

Can someone please explain exactly why/how ##f^{ -1 } (U) \cap f^{ -1 } (J) = f^{ -1 } (U)## ... ...
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation of the type ##A \cap B = A##. If you draw a Venn diagram, you will see that this is equivalent to ##A \subseteq B##. Now ##I \subseteq f^{-1}(J)## but ##I## is all we have, so ##I=f^{-1}(J)##.

More interesting is why ##f^{-1}(U\cap J) =f^{-1}(U) \cap f^{-1}(J)##. Can you tell why this is true?

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
You have an equation of the type ##A \cap B = A##. If you draw a Venn diagram, you will see that this is equivalent to ##A \subseteq B##. Now ##I \subseteq f^{-1}(J)## but ##I## is all we have, so ##I=f^{-1}(J)##.

More interesting is why ##f^{-1}(U\cap J) =f^{-1}(U) \cap f^{-1}(J)##. Can you tell why this is true?
Thanks fresh_42 ... can now see why ##f^{ -1 } (U) \cap f^{ -1 } (J) = f^{ -1 } (U)## ... ...

As for ##f^{-1}(U\cap J) =f^{-1}(U) \cap f^{-1}(J)## ... I know this is true for any sets U and J (See Topology by Munkres, Exercise 2(c) page 20 ...) ... but I think you are asking me to give a sense of why it is true ... but I have not yet got any ideas regarding this ...

Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Such equations are often shown elementwise: choose an arbitrary element $x\in f^{-1}(A\cap B)$ and show that it is in ##f^{-1}(A)## and in ##f^{-1}(B)##, too. For the other direction, choose an element ##x\in f^{-1}(A)\cap f^{-1}(B)## and show that it is an element of ## f^{-1}(A\cap B)##. As long as it is true for an arbitrary element, as long is it true for all elements.

fresh_42 said:
Such equations are often shown elementwise: choose an arbitrary element $x\in f^{-1}(A\cap B)$ and show that it is in ##f^{-1}(A)## and in ##f^{-1}(B)##, too. For the other direction, choose an element ##x\in f^{-1}(A)\cap f^{-1}(B)## and show that it is an element of ## f^{-1}(A\cap B)##. As long as it is true for an arbitrary element, as long is it true for all elements.
Oh ... so you were asking for a formal proof ...

That, I think would proceed as follows:

To prove ... ##f^{-1} (A \cap B) =f^{-1} (A) \cap f^{-1} (B)##

Now ... ##x \in f^{-1}(A \cap B)##

##\Longrightarrow f(x) \in A \cap B##

##\Longrightarrow f(x) \in A## and ##f(x) \in B##

##\Longrightarrow x \in f^{-1} (A)## and ##x \in f^{-1} (B)##

##\Longrightarrow x \in f^{-1} (A) \cap f^{-1} (B)##

So ... we have ##f^{-1} (A \cap B) \subset f^{-1} (A) \cap f^{-1} (B)## ... ... ... ... ... (1)Now ... ##x \in f^{-1} (A) \cap f^{-1} (B)##

##\Longrightarrow x \in f^{-1} (A)## and ##x \in f^{-1} (B)##

##\Longrightarrow f(x) \in A## and ##f(x) \in B##

##\Longrightarrow f(x) \in A \cap B##

##\Longrightarrow x \in f^{-1}(A \cap B)##

So ... we have ##f^{-1} (A) \cap f^{-1} (B) \subset f^{-1} (A \cap B)## ... ... ... ... ... (2)

Now ... (1) and (2) imply ##f^{-1} (A \cap B) =f^{-1} (A) \cap f^{-1} (B)##

Is that correct?Thanks again for your help ...

Peter

Likes fresh_42
Math Amateur said:
Is that correct?
Yep, correct. It does not generally work for ##f##, where we have ##f(A\cap B) \subseteq f(A) \cap f(B)## but not the other direction.

Likes Math Amateur

1. What is the significance of Proposition 3.12 in Browder's composition of two continuous functions?

Proposition 3.12 in Browder's composition of two continuous functions states that if two functions are continuous, then their composition is also continuous. This is an important result in mathematics, as it allows us to prove the continuity of a composite function based on the continuity of its individual components.

2. How does Proposition 3.12 relate to the concept of continuity?

Proposition 3.12 is directly related to the concept of continuity, as it states that the composition of two continuous functions is also continuous. This means that if we have two functions that are continuous at a given point, their composite function will also be continuous at that point.

3. Can Proposition 3.12 be applied to functions of more than two variables?

Yes, Proposition 3.12 can be applied to functions of more than two variables. This result holds true for any number of continuous functions being composed together, as long as each individual function is continuous.

4. What is the proof for Proposition 3.12?

The proof for Proposition 3.12 involves using the definition of continuity and the properties of limits. By breaking down the composition of two continuous functions into smaller parts and applying the definition of continuity to each part, we can show that the composite function is also continuous.

5. How is Proposition 3.12 used in real-world applications?

Proposition 3.12 is used in many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to prove the continuity of composite functions, which is essential in analyzing and understanding complex systems and processes. For example, it can be used to study the behavior of continuous functions in financial models or to analyze the stability of a physical system.