Rifle shoots bullet into pendulum What am I doing wrong?

In summary, the problem involves a 30g rifle bullet traveling at 220 m/s that buries itself in a 3.0kg pendulum hanging on a 2.1m long string. The pendulum swings upward in an arc, and the task is to determine the vertical and horizontal components of the pendulum's maximum displacement. The student correctly uses the equations p=mv, K=1/2mv^2, and Ug=mgy to find the momentum of the bullet, the velocity of the pendulum after impact, and the kinetic energy of the system. However, the student makes a mistake in measuring the change in y position, using 1.9m instead of the correct value of 0.24
WahooMan

Homework Statement

A 30g rifle bullet traveling 220 m/s buries itself in a 3.0kg pendulum hanging on a 2.1m long string, which makes the pendulum swing upward in an arc. Determine the vertical and horizontal components of the pendulum's maximum displacement.

Homework Equations

p=mv
K=1/2mv^2
Ug=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the momentum of the bullet:

p=mv
p=(0.03kg)(200m/s)
p=6.6kg*m/s

Then I found the velocity of the pendulum after the bullet hits it:

(6.6kg*m/s)/(3.03kg)=2.18m/s

After that I found the Kinetic Energy of the system just after the bullet hits the pendulum:
KE=1/2mv^2
KE=(1/2)(3.03)(2.18)^2
KE=7.19J

Then, because that Kinetic Energy transfers to Gravitational Potential Energy when the pendulum has reached its max height, I set the Kinetic Energy equal to Gravitational Potential Energy.

Ug=mgy
7.19J=(3.03kg)(9.80)(y)
y=0.24m

Using the length of the pendulum (2.1m) as the hypotenuse and (length of the pendulum - y=1.86m) as the y component, I used the Pythagorean Thereom to solve for the x component.

a^2+b^2=c^2
1.86^2+b^2=2.1^2
b^2=2.1^2-1.86^2
b=0.98m

So I got the x component to be 0.98m and the y component to be 1.9m, but MasteringPhysics says I'm wrong. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
WahooMan said:
So I got the x component to be 0.98m and the y component to be 1.9m, but MasteringPhysics says I'm wrong. What did I do wrong?
Your work looks fine to me.

WahooMan said:
As Doc Al says, your approach is correct. However, displacement should be measured from its original rest position. That is probably why your answer is not jiving. Also, I get .97m for the x component.

AM

Did I not measure from the rest position? What would be the correct answer if I did? What exactly did I do wrong?

WahooMan said:
Did I not measure from the rest position? What would be the correct answer if I did? What exactly did I do wrong?
You are using 1.9m for the change in y. The block does not change its y position by that amount. You found that it changes by .24 m.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You are using 1.9m for the change in y. The block does not change its y position by that amount. You found that it changes by .24 m.
D'oh! Good catch, AM. (I wasn't paying attention. :redface:)

1. Why is the bullet not hitting the pendulum?

There could be various reasons for this, such as incorrect aim, wind or other external factors affecting the trajectory of the bullet, or a malfunction in the rifle. It is important to carefully check your aim and equipment before firing the rifle.

2. How can I ensure accuracy in my shots?

Accuracy in shooting a rifle depends on several factors, including proper stance and posture, consistent grip and trigger pull, and regular practice. It is also important to use high-quality ammunition and ensure that your rifle is properly maintained and zeroed in.

3. What is the ideal distance between the rifle and the pendulum?

The ideal distance will vary depending on the type of rifle and ammunition being used. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek guidance from an experienced shooter to determine the proper distance for your specific setup.

4. Why is the pendulum not swinging after being hit by the bullet?

This could be due to a lack of sufficient force from the bullet, causing it to simply lodge in the pendulum without causing it to swing. It could also be a result of an improperly calibrated pendulum or a blockage in the mechanism. It is important to troubleshoot and make any necessary adjustments before attempting to shoot again.

5. Is it safe to shoot a rifle at a pendulum?

Shooting a rifle at a pendulum can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to always follow firearm safety rules and wear the appropriate protective gear. It is also important to ensure that the pendulum is securely anchored and that there are no people or objects in the potential path of the bullet.