Right Ascension and Declination

In summary, the student is seeking help to understand a problem involving observing an object at a specific location and time. They need to calculate the right ascension and declination, but are struggling and are seeking assistance.
sportcardinal

Homework Statement

Can someone help me to understand this problem:

You observe an object at location(longitude –16°30’E, Latitude 28°18’N) passing the meridian (azimuth=0) at 5h (am) Coordination Universal Time (UCT). The star's elevation is 43°40’ and the stellar time at Greenwich at 0h UTC was 22h20min.

I need to calculate the right ascension and declination.

Can someone help me with this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly lost here so I would appreciate any help in understanding how I might about solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
sportcardinal said:

Homework Statement

Can someone help me to understand this problem:

You observe an object at location(longitude –16°30’E, Latitude 28°18’N) passing the meridian (azimuth=0) at 5h (am) Coordination Universal Time (UCT). The star's elevation is 43°40’ and the stellar time at Greenwich at 0h UTC was 22h20min.

I need to calculate the right ascension and declination.

Can someone help me with this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly lost here so I would appreciate any help in understanding how I might about solving this problem.

You skipped the Relevant Equations part of the mandatory HH Template. Why is that? Surely you can show us some effort in your schoolwork?

What is Right Ascension and Declination?

Right Ascension and Declination are two coordinates used to locate objects in the sky. Right Ascension is similar to longitude on Earth and measures east-west position, while Declination is similar to latitude and measures north-south position.

How are Right Ascension and Declination measured?

Right Ascension is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds, with 24 hours being equivalent to 360 degrees. Declination is measured in degrees, with 90 degrees being equivalent to the celestial equator (the projection of Earth's equator onto the sky).

What is the purpose of using Right Ascension and Declination?

Using these coordinates allows astronomers to accurately locate and track objects in the night sky, regardless of their position in relation to Earth. It also allows for easier communication and data sharing among scientists.

How do Right Ascension and Declination differ from other coordinate systems?

While other coordinate systems, such as azimuth and altitude, are based on the observer's location on Earth, Right Ascension and Declination are fixed coordinates that remain constant no matter the observer's location.

Are there any limitations to using Right Ascension and Declination?

One limitation is that these coordinates only work for celestial objects within our own solar system. For more distant objects, such as galaxies and quasars, a different coordinate system called redshift is used.