Rigid Body Mechanics - 2 or more bodies

In summary: If I can't match their answers, then I am not confident it is rotational kinetic energy.In summary, the equation of motion for member1 is C1*ω2 + Ieq*α.
Jason NIcholson
When I derive the equations of motion for 2 or more bodies where one is rotating and the other is a mixture of rotation and translation, I get a term multiplying angular velocity squared. I know its right but I don't know what to call it. Can some help me with what to call it (it means C12 below)?After eliminating one of the constrained degrees of freedom, I get an ODE for the rotational degree of freedom:
sum of moments = Coefficient1*angularVelocity2+equavelentInertia*angularAcceleration
ΣM = C12 + Ieq

What's interesting about C1 is that it position dependent and it can flip signs. C1 has units of mass*length2 thus the units are consistent since ω has units of radians/sec.

Physics news on Phys.org
A priori, this looks like a term for rotational kinetic energy, with C1 related to the moment of inertia. I don't see why it is position dependent,. You should probably give some details of the derivation if you want to get help with this.

The video below shows the motion.

Clipboard01.png

thickness = 2*10mm = 20mm. member is extruded 10mm each way.
Clipboard03.png

Clipboard04.png

thickness = 2*5mm = 10 mm. member is extruded 5mm each way.
Clipboard06.png
member1 rotates around the z axis. member2 is constrained at one end to move vertically at distance of 80mm from the YZ plane. The two body are constrained to each other via a revolute joint. Solving the equations motion for one ODE in terms of the rotational displacement, velocity, and acceleration of member1 yields an equation that looks like:

$$\sum M = C_1(\beta')^2 + I_eq\beta''$$

##\beta## is the rotational position of member1. Both ##C_1## and ##I_{eq}## are a functions of position.

I am not convinced it is rotational energy. I have compared my results against Rigid Body Dynamics solver Recurdyn and Adams. I can match their answers so I am confident I have got the equations of motion correct.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Clipboard03.png
    Clipboard03.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Clipboard04.png
    Clipboard04.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 343
  • Clipboard06.png
    Clipboard06.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 306

1. What is rigid body mechanics?

Rigid body mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that do not deform when subjected to external forces. These objects are considered to be rigid, meaning that their shape and size remain constant throughout their motion.

2. How does the motion of two or more bodies affect each other in rigid body mechanics?

In rigid body mechanics, the motion of two or more bodies can affect each other through the application of external forces. These forces can cause changes in the position, velocity, or acceleration of the bodies, and the resulting motion can be described using laws such as Newton's laws of motion.

3. What is the difference between a rigid body and a non-rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that does not change shape or size when subjected to external forces, while a non-rigid body can deform under the influence of these forces. In rigid body mechanics, the motion of rigid bodies is easier to analyze as the shape and size of the bodies remain constant.

4. Can rigid body mechanics be applied to real-world objects?

Yes, rigid body mechanics can be applied to real-world objects as long as they can be approximated as rigid bodies. While no object is truly rigid, many objects can be treated as such for practical purposes. This is especially true for objects with high structural integrity, such as bridges and buildings.

5. How is the center of mass used in rigid body mechanics?

The center of mass is a point within a rigid body that represents the average position of all the mass in that body. It is a useful concept in rigid body mechanics as it simplifies the analysis of the motion of a body by allowing us to treat it as a single point. The center of mass also plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a body.