Ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings

In summary: I think I have found my mistake. I used the wrong constant for the elastic potential energy. It should be k=(3/4)λ/L instead of k=λ/L.
songoku
Homework Statement
Two fixed points A and B are in the same vertical line with A at a distance 2L metres above B. Small smooth ring P of mass m kg is threaded on a light elastic string of modulus of elasticity 3 mg N and natural length L metres, and both ends of the string are fixed at A. The ring P is also attached to one end of another inextensible string of length L metres with the other end fixed at B.
a. Find the tension in the string PB when the system is in equilibrium with A, P and B in the same vertical line
b. The inextensible string is being cut while the system is in equilibrium. Find in terms of g and L the speed of P just before it hits A
Relevant Equations
F = k.x

k = λ / L

λ = modulus of elasticity
k = force constant
x = change in length
L = original length
I imagine the system where P is in the middle between A and B, and P is also in the middle of light elastic string.
Between P and B, there is tension force acting downwards on P.
Between A and P, there is tension force acting upwards and because P is in the middle of the elastic string, there will be two tension forces acting upwards on P (each from half part of elastic string and the extension of each part is L/2)

a. Resultant force acting on P = 0
Tension upwards = weight + tension downwards
k.x + k.x = mg + tension downwards
( λ / L) (1/2 L) + ( λ / L) (1/2 L) = mg + tension downwards
λ = mg + tension downwards
3 mg = mg + tension downwards
tension downwards = 2mg

Is this correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct, but next time please post a diagram, preferably a free body diagram.

Likes songoku
Untitled.png

The left picture is how I imagine the system will be. The right picture is the free body diagram. P is the ring and the two F's is the upwards tension resulting from the ring threaded to the middle of elastic string.

For (b), I tried to use conservation of energy but failed:
Taking the initial position of P as reference point (height = 0), total energy at this point will be the same as total energy at point A after the inextensible string being cut.

elastic potential energy due to two components of elastic string = kinetic energy at A + gravitational potential energy at A (the elastic string is slack before the object reaches A so there is no elastic potential energy at A)

1/2 k x2 + 1/2 k x2 = 1/2 m v2 + mgh

1/2 (λ / L) (1/2 L)2 + 1/2 (λ / L) (1/2 L)2 = 1/2 m v2 + mgL

λL/4 = 1/2 m v2 + mgL

3mgL / 4 = 1/2 m v2 + mgL

1/2 m v2 = - 1/4 mgL

I got the kinetic energy is negative. Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Last edited:
songoku said:
3mgL / 4 = 1/2 m v2 + mgL
Compare the left hand side with the right hand side. The left hand side can never be equal to the right hand side because (3/4)mgL is always less than mgL even if the kinetic energy at A is zero. What does this suggest to you?

Likes songoku
kuruman said:
Compare the left hand side with the right hand side. The left hand side can never be equal to the right hand side because (3/4)mgL is always less than mgL even if the kinetic energy at A is zero. What does this suggest to you?
The maximum height P can travel is 3/4 L so it will never reach A. But how to answer question (b)? The speed of P just before it hits A is zero? Does not really make sense to me

Thanks

songoku said:
1/2 k x2 + 1/2 k x2
You originally wrote k=λ/L, which is correct if k is the string constant of the whole string. But in the energy expression above you need k to be the constant for only half the string.
It will be less confusing to think in terms of the energy stored in the string length L stretched to length 2L.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
haruspex said:
You originally wrote k=λL, which is correct if k is the string constant of the whole string. But in the energy expression above you need k to be the constant for only half the string.
It will be less confusing to think in terms of the energy stored in the string length L stretched to length 2L.

You mean the working should be like this?
1/2 k x2 = 1/2 m v2 + mgh
1/2 (λ/L) (2L)2 = 1/2 m v2 + mgL
1/2 (3mg / L) (4L2) = 1/2 m v2 + mgL
6mgL = 1/2 m v2 + mgL
1/2 m v2 = 5 mgL
v = √(10 gL)

Thanks

songoku said:
1/2 (λ/L) (2L)2
Not quite. The extension of the whole string is L, not 2L.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Not quite. The extension of the whole string is L, not 2L.
Oh yes, my bad. I will change the extension to L

Thank you very much for the help kuruman and haruspex

1. What is the purpose of the ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings?

The ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings is used for experiments and demonstrations in physics, specifically in the study of elastic potential energy. It allows for the manipulation and measurement of elastic forces.

2. How does the ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings work?

The ring is attached to two elastic and inextensible strings, which means that they do not stretch when a force is applied. As the strings are pulled apart, the elastic potential energy is stored in the strings. When the ring is released, the stored energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the ring to move back and forth until the energy is dissipated.

3. What are some real-life applications of the ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings?

The concept of elastic potential energy is used in many everyday objects, such as elastic bands, bungee cords, and trampolines. The ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings can also be used in research and development of materials and structures that need to withstand elastic forces, such as bridges and buildings.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using the ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings?

Yes, it is important to use caution when working with elastic potential energy. The strings can snap if pulled too far, so it is important to not apply too much force. Also, make sure to wear safety goggles and keep bystanders at a safe distance to avoid any potential injuries.

5. Can the ring attached to elastic and inextensible strings be used to study other concepts in physics?

Yes, the ring can also be used to study other concepts, such as Hooke's Law and simple harmonic motion. By changing the length and tension of the strings, different experiments can be conducted to investigate these principles.