Ring charge propelling a sphere

In summary, a 13.4 cm radius thin ring with a uniformly distributed 14.8 microC charge is placed at the center of a small 8.2 g sphere with a charge of 2.4 microC. The sphere is given a small push and moves along the ring axis. To determine its speed when it is 1.8 m from the center of the ring, the ring can be treated as a point charge and the electric field can be calculated using the formula e=kq/r. Simplifying the problem by considering the symmetry along the x-axis can lead to a more accurate answer.
zyphriss2
A 13.4 cm radius thin ring carries a uniformly distributed 14.8 microC charge. A small 8.2 g sphere with a charge of 2.4 microC is placed exactly at the center of the ring and given a very small push so it moves along the ring axis (+ x axis).

How fast will the sphere be moving when it is 1.8 m from the center of the ring (ignore gravity)?

I know i can treat the ring like a point charge so e=kq/r
and (1/2)mv^2=e

I just think I am doing everything after the e=kq/r step completely wrong. My last answer was 4248m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the sphere as a point charge then determine the electric field produced by the ring as a function of x.

the symmetry of the ring along the x-axis should greatly simplify things

1. What is "ring charge propelling a sphere"?

"Ring charge propelling a sphere" refers to the phenomenon in which a charged ring, or a ring with an electric current flowing through it, is able to propel a neutral sphere placed inside the ring. This occurs due to the interaction between the electric field of the ring and the charge distribution of the sphere.

2. How does a ring charge propel a sphere?

The ring is able to propel the sphere through the use of the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged object in an electric and magnetic field. In this case, the electric field of the ring exerts a force on the charges within the sphere, causing it to move.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by a ring charge on a sphere?

The force exerted by a ring charge on a sphere is affected by several factors, including the charge and current of the ring, the distance between the ring and the sphere, and the size and charge distribution of the sphere.

4. Is "ring charge propelling a sphere" a common phenomenon?

While it may not be a commonly observed phenomenon in everyday life, it is a well-documented and studied phenomenon in the field of electromagnetism. It has also been observed and demonstrated in various experimental setups and simulations.

5. What are the practical applications of "ring charge propelling a sphere"?

One potential application of this phenomenon is in the field of microfluidics, where it could be used to manipulate and transport tiny droplets or particles. It could also have potential applications in nanotechnology and in the development of novel propulsion systems.