Electric Field inside a charged ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field inside a charged ring in 2D. The conversation includes a discussion of the electric field formula, the assumption of the potential being constant, and the use of symmetry to simplify the calculation. The conversation also includes a request for help with integrating and a suggestion to show the work for assistance.
yeezyseason3

Homework Statement

Given a charged ring in 2-d, what is the e-field inside the ring?

Homework Equations

Epoint = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't a homework question, but more of a problem I keep running into whenever I think about it. I assumed it was 0. I came to this conclusion because the gradient of potential is electric field, and potential within a ring is constant, therefore electric field is 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check by considering that the electric field is a vector... the field dead center is easy, you are wondering about off-center right?

Simon Bridge said:
You can check by considering that the electric field is a vector... the field dead center is easy, you are wondering about off-center right?
Yea I am, I tried integrating and it got really messy, I assumed I was doing something wrong and instead assumed that potential is constant and hence e field is 0.

You "assumed" the potential was constant?
Didn't you calculate it?

Trying to do the vector calculus is nasty - try exploiting the line of symmetry through the center of the ring and the point you want to find the field for ... if you integrate equal angles either side of that line for a short arc, you should be able to find another similar arc on the opposite side that will integrate to equal and opposite field.

yeezyseason3 said:
I tried integrating and it got really messy
If you show what you did, perhaps we can help ?

1. What is an electric field inside a charged ring?

The electric field inside a charged ring is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle placed within the ring. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the force at any given point inside the ring.

2. How is the electric field inside a charged ring calculated?

The electric field inside a charged ring can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field inside a charged ring?

The strength of the electric field inside a charged ring depends on the charge of the ring, the distance from the center of the ring, and the size of the ring.

4. Is the electric field inside a charged ring uniform?

No, the electric field inside a charged ring is not uniform. It is stronger near the inner edge of the ring and weaker near the outer edge. This is because the charges in the ring are closer together near the inner edge, leading to a stronger electric field.

5. How does the electric field inside a charged ring differ from that of a charged disc?

The electric field inside a charged ring and a charged disc are similar in that they both have a central point where the electric field is strongest. However, the electric field inside a ring is stronger near the inner edge, while the electric field inside a disc is constant throughout.