Ring of radius R and uniform charge

In summary, the question asks for the distance along the central axis of a ring of radius 0.200 m where the magnitude of the electric field due to the ring's charge is at its maximum. To find this, the equation for electric field is differentiated with respect to z and set equal to 0. After simplifying, the positive solution for z is found to be z = R/√3.
arl146

Homework Statement

At what distance along the central axis of a ring of radius R = 0.200 m and uniform charge is the magnitude of the electric field due to the ring's charge maximum? What is the positive solution for z?

Homework Equations

E = [itex]\frac{kqz}{(z^2+R^2)^(3/2)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I should differentiate that above equation with respect to z and then set it equal to 0 to get z but i just don't know how to differentiate that ..

E = [itex]\frac{kqz}{(z^2+R^2)^(3/2)}[/itex]

the k and the q are held as constants and can be taken out of the differentiation ..

= kq*[[itex]\frac{d}{dz}[/itex]((z2+R2)3/2]

isn't [itex]\frac{d}{dz}[/itex]((z2+R2)3/2 = -3z(z2+R2)^(-5/2) ??

so it would be kq [-3z(z2+R2)^(-5/2)]

but that doesn't work for when you set it = 0. what am i supposed to be doing that I am not

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind .. i got it now!

Related to Ring of radius R and uniform charge

1. What is the formula for the electric field of a ring of radius R and uniform charge?

The electric field at a point on the axis of a ring of radius R and uniform charge is given by the formula E = kQx / (R2 + x2)3/2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and x is the distance from the center of the ring to the point.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the ring?

The electric field from a ring of radius R and uniform charge decreases as the distance from the center of the ring increases. It follows an inverse square law, meaning that the field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

3. Can the electric field be negative for a ring of radius R and uniform charge?

No, the electric field can only be positive for a ring of radius R and uniform charge. This is because the charge is evenly distributed around the ring, resulting in a symmetrical electric field that points away from the center of the ring.

4. How does the electric field of a ring of radius R and uniform charge compare to that of a point charge?

The electric field of a ring of radius R and uniform charge is the same as that of a point charge at its center. This means that at points along the axis of the ring, the electric field behaves as if all of the charge is concentrated at the center of the ring.

5. Can the electric field of a ring of radius R and uniform charge be affected by external electric fields?

Yes, the electric field of a ring of radius R and uniform charge can be affected by external electric fields. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and can be influenced by the presence of other electric fields. However, the effect may be minimal depending on the strength and direction of the external field.