RIP the Open Directory Project (DMOZ)

In summary, the oldest human-edited directory of web sites, DMOZ, is closing on March 14. DMOZ was created in 1998 as an alternative to Yahoo and was seen as a trusted source for Google rankings. Google even had their own version of DMOZ, the Google Directory. However, DMOZ has become irrelevant in recent years and AOL, who owns DMOZ, has decided to shut it down due to lack of funding and updates. At its peak, DMOZ listed 5.2 million sites, but that number has decreased to 4.0 million due to outdated links.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The oldest human-edited directory of web sites, http://www.dmoz.org, is closing on March 14. It started in 1998 as an alternative to Yahoo, which at that time was a human-edited directory that many people thought was too hard to get listed in. Even after Google and other automated search engines became popular, DMOZ still had some importance as a "trusted source" for Google, and website owners were commonly recommended to get listed in DMOZ to help their Google rankings.

Google itself even used to have a clone of DMOZ, the Google Directory, based on the publicly available DMOZ data set. It added to each listing a green bar showing the site's Google PageRank value.

http://searchengineland.com/rip-dmoz-open-directory-project-closing-270291

I listed my hobby site in DMOZ around 1999 or 2000, when I had it on my college's web server. After I had to move to commercial web-hosting and get my own domain a couple of years ago, I updated my DMOZ listing. It's still there, under Recreation > Trains and Railroads > Photographs.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
Not feeling too sad. It's been irrelevant for near a decade now and it was rife with abuse.

I agree, the web has probably grown beyond the capabilities of a single hierarchical directory, even with all the volunteers who were editing it. AOL (who owned DMOZ) must have decided it wasn't worth spending money any longer to maintain the infrastructure, both for serving up the directory and for the editing interface.

According to Wikipedia, DMOZ listed about 5.2 million sites in April 2013, but "only" 4.0 million in October 2015. Probably due to old links going dead and not enough new links being added to replace them, whether for new sites or updated links to old sites.

1. What is the Open Directory Project (DMOZ)?

The Open Directory Project (DMOZ) was a human-edited web directory that was created in 1998. It was one of the largest and most comprehensive directories on the internet, with millions of websites organized into categories and subcategories.

2. Why is the Open Directory Project shutting down?

The Open Directory Project announced its closure in 2017, stating that maintaining the directory had become too costly and labor-intensive. Additionally, the rise of newer and more efficient search engines and directories made DMOZ less relevant.

3. What impact did the Open Directory Project have on the internet?

The Open Directory Project was one of the first and most influential human-edited directories on the internet. It helped users find relevant and high-quality websites, and also influenced the development of other search engines and directories.

4. Can I still access the Open Directory Project's data?

No, the Open Directory Project's data has been removed from the internet and is no longer accessible. However, there are other directories and search engines that may have similar data and can be used for finding websites.

5. What alternatives are there to the Open Directory Project?

There are many alternatives to the Open Directory Project, such as Yahoo Directory, Best of the Web, and DMOZ successor Curlie. Additionally, popular search engines like Google and Bing can also be used to find websites.