Rising and lowering operators in a molecule

In summary, rising and lowering operators are mathematical symbols used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior and properties of molecules. They can create and destroy molecular orbitals, with a^+ increasing the energy level and a^- decreasing it. These operators are related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and are crucial in molecular spectroscopy for calculating energy levels and transitions.
Malamala
Hello! If I have a molecule in Hund case a, I can write its wavefunction (electronic + rotational) as ##|e,\Lambda,\Omega,S>|J,\Sigma,\Lambda,\Omega,M>##. I am not sure what happens if I apply, say, ##S_+## on this wavefunction (assuming I am not applying it to the top of the ladder), where this is the raising operator in the molecule frame. In principle this should give: ##|e,\Lambda,\Omega,S>|J,\Sigma+1,\Lambda,\Omega,M>##. However initially I had, ##\Omega= \Sigma + \Lambda##, but now I would have ##\Omega= \Sigma + 1 + \Lambda##, which doesn't make sense. Given that by definition ##\Omega= \Sigma + \Lambda##, I would expect that applying ##S_+## would also turn ##\Omega## to ##\Omega+1##, but in many books I see that the ##S_+## operator is usually multiplied by ##J_-##, which is the rising operator for ##\Omega## (it is "-" because I work in the molecule frame and the signs are inverted). But if that is the case, my previous argument doesn't hold anymore. So my questions is, if I apply ##S_+##, do I need to apply ##J_-##, too, such that the ##\Omega## is consistent with ##\Omega= \Sigma + \Lambda##? And if so, why isn't ##\Omega## automatically changed by 1 when I apply ##S_+##? Does it even make sense mathematically to apply ##S_+## alone at all given this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your question. The confusion here stems from the fact that in the molecular frame, the quantum numbers Ω and Σ are not independent, but are related through the equation Ω = Σ + Λ. This means that when you apply the raising operator S+ to the wavefunction, you are not only changing the value of Σ, but also the value of Ω. This is why you see the Ω+1 term in the resulting wavefunction.

In order to keep the Ω=Σ+Λ relation consistent, you would need to apply the lowering operator J- as well. This is because the J- operator only affects the Ω quantum number, and does not change the values of Λ or Σ. By applying both the S+ and J- operators, you are effectively changing the Σ value while keeping the Ω=Σ+Λ relation intact.

To answer your question about why the Ω quantum number is not automatically changed by 1 when you apply S+, it is because the S+ operator is not specifically designed to change the value of Ω. Its main purpose is to change the value of Σ, and the change in Ω is a consequence of this.

In summary, it does make sense mathematically to apply S+ alone, but in order to maintain the consistency of the Ω=Σ+Λ relation, you would need to also apply J-. I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Thank you for your interest in quantum mechanics!

1. What are rising and lowering operators in a molecule?

Rising and lowering operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy states of a molecule. They represent the creation and annihilation of a single quantum of energy, respectively.

2. How do rising and lowering operators affect the energy levels of a molecule?

Rising operators increase the energy of a molecule by one quantum, while lowering operators decrease the energy by one quantum. These operators are used to describe the transitions between energy levels in a molecule.

3. What is the significance of rising and lowering operators in molecular spectroscopy?

Rising and lowering operators are crucial in molecular spectroscopy as they allow us to calculate the energy levels and transitions of a molecule. This information is used to interpret spectroscopic data and determine the structure and properties of molecules.

4. How are rising and lowering operators related to the Hamiltonian operator?

The Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. Rising and lowering operators are derived from the Hamiltonian operator and are used to calculate the energy levels and transitions of a molecule.

5. Can rising and lowering operators be used to describe the behavior of electrons in a molecule?

Yes, rising and lowering operators can be used to describe the behavior of electrons in a molecule. They are commonly used in quantum chemistry calculations to determine the electronic structure and properties of molecules.